• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mars Rover landing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mars Rover landing

Challenges of Getting to Mars: Curiosity's Seven Minutes of Terror.

Not as simple as you might think.

Linky
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Curiosity is the dog's bollards. Nice video.

Nuclear powered and packs a pulsed 10 megawatt laser that can make short work of any life it finds, as long as it is really small and slow.

Due the land in August this year I believe

Comment

a thrilling video, you just don't realise how much of an engineering effort was involved just on the landing.

Comment

It should be a piece of piss for them if they dont make basic mistakes of mixing metric and imperial measurement for the landing data.

The Sky Crane is a great idea though, stuff of sc fi in fact. Landing's in August isnt it?
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Cool.

Tone

Comment

Fantastic!
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

As the Sun get’s hotter and gets to the end of it’s shelf life, humans will have to colonise Mars to get an extra few million years. It is better we start now.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                a thrilling video, you just don't realise how much of an engineering effort was involved just on the landing.
                I agree, hopefully stuff like that will make some kids think "Wow! I want to be an engineer!".

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  As the Sun get’s hotter and gets to the end of it’s shelf life, humans will have to colonise Mars to get an extra few million years. It is better we start now.
                  That's the curse of being the only species that knows it will die.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    I agree, hopefully stuff like that will make some kids think "Wow! I want to be an engineer!".
                    Wow!

Lots of possible failure points. Exciting stuff.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X