• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firefox plugins for Fedora 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox plugins for Fedora 17

Out of the box Fedora 17 doesn't come with what they consider "nasty proprietary" plugins so I added some.

I've got Youtube working fine, but not for embedded videos here on CUK e.g. the Mars Rover landing one.

That displayed the image and FF asked me to install Adobe Flash which I did, but now I don't even see the image.

FF is now saying that some plugins need installing, but helpfully doesn't actually name any of them. Saying yes to an offer to install them just comes up with "No plugins found".

Obviously this is of utmost importance. How else can I see videos posted by CUK members?

Yes I can run Mint in a VM and that works, but I want to run other stuff as well
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Flash plugin for Fedora

You probably meant Flash plugin for Fedora (and condolences for using such a bugged distro). How did you install Flash? I usually unpack the latest Flash binary (make sure you are using the correct one, either the 32 or 64 bit) from Adobe and as root:
    Code:
    cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    Then restart Firefox.

Another thing I'd do is to uninstall the Firefox package from Fedora and just unpack the relevant binary from the Mozilla repository into either your home directory or /opt for all users.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Probably YouTube is working via HTML5 video meaning Flash isn't needed, but the vBulletin forum software used here only works with Flash.

As this is also a pain when using an iPad I'll see if it's possible to get vBulletin's video embedding working with HTML5 as well as Flash, which would make life better for everybody

Comment

Thanks gents.

I had tried installing Flash using the Adobe website, but then looked in the Software Add/Remove software thingy and installed from there.

Adobe Flash Plugin 11.2.202.236

A logout/login sequence may have helped. Dunno, but it's working now.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
        X