• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germany - hints and tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany - hints and tips

Off to Frankfurt this week for a workshop.

Any hints and tips for the business traveller?

So far I've got:

1) Don't mention the war
    2) Line the inspection shelf with paper before making a deposit

Anything else I need to know?

Ta.

Stick to last names (Herr X, Frau Y, sie rather than du if you speak German) unless invited to do otherwise. Everyone will probably go to lunch together, so join them. If you find yourself out and about at all don't stand on the cycle path mistaking it for a pavement and don't jaywalk against a red light.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Carry your papers with you at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Stick to last names (Herr X, Frau Y, sie rather than du if you speak German) unless invited to do otherwise. Everyone will probably go to lunch together, so join them. If you find yourself out and about at all don't stand on the cycle path mistaking it for a pavement and don't jaywalk against a red light.
        Sensible advice in general? The end of the world is nigh.

Ta. O level German very rusty, so will avoid the lingo if at all possible. Is Frau the acceptable address for unmarried/unknown ladies too?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Carry your papers with you at all times.
          Eh? As in passport?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Eh? As in passport?
            No, as in "Show me your papers"

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              No, as in "Show me your papers"
              Sorry - I used them to line the inspection shelf.

Comment

Eh? As in passport?
                You are technically supposed to carry ID (passport but I've got away with a UK driving license) with you at all times. This isn't because you are foreign, it applies to the locals as well.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Take a boardgame, 'Monopoly' is probably best, with a map sewn into the board, and make sure the buttons of your cardie are made of chocolate or some other nourishing foodstuff. Always walk in the middle of the stream for a few k's, so the dogs cant follow your scent.
                  Good luck

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is Frau the acceptable address for unmarried/unknown ladies too?
                    Yes. Always use Frau irrespective of single/married status.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X