• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Analyst Certification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Analyst Certification

Have any of my online friends taken the course below:-

Business Analysis | Business Analysis | Foundation | Business Analysis | Certifications | BCS Certifications

a) If so, was it useful (in general)?
    b) Did you go onto take the more advanced courses?

I'm aiming to secure a permanent business analyst role in 6-12 months (20+ years experience of implementing database solutions and reports but no formal business qualifications; 7+ years contracting). Had various titles, e.g. Data Analyst, Information Analyst, Database Analyst, Senior Developer (from old perm days), Report Writer, SQL Analyst etc.

c) IYO, will this help with the above.

TIA for any input.

Last edited by oscarose; 2 July 2012, 10:02. Reason: error (x2)
    one day at a time

I've been on a few of the practitioner courses, all of them very useful.

As is the way of these things, the more experienced I've become, the less I'm interested in taking the Diploma. I might do it if it takes my fancy, I certainly don't need it for my work.

But doing the Foundation is a good place to start if you're new to business analysis.

It is only a start mind, you won't get much from that course alone.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I've been on a few of the practitioner courses, all of them very useful.

As is the way of these things, the more experienced I've become, the less I'm interested in taking the Diploma. I might do it if it takes my fancy, I certainly don't need it for my work.

But doing the Foundation is a good place to start if you're new to business analysis.

It is only a start mind, you won't get much from that course alone.
      Thanks for the benefit of your experience.

I know it's one of those 'chicken and egg' things when making the transition to a new role. I've got the study book and most of the concepts described I've had exposure to, so that gives me a good starting point.
      one day at a time

Comment

I have the Diploma. I don't think this ever got me any work, nobody ever asked about it. It is possible that there is more awareness of it now, there didn't used to be five years ago.

I do think that the practitioner courses are useful, in terms of increasing awareness of the range of techniques that there are and how to use them.

I'm not convinced that you would get any work on the basis of have them on their own without relevant experience though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          I have the Diploma. I don't think this ever got me any work, nobody ever asked about it. It is possible that there is more awareness of it now, there didn't used to be five years ago.

I do think that the practitioner courses are useful, in terms of increasing awareness of the range of techniques that there are and how to use them.

I'm not convinced that you would get any work on the basis of have them on their own without relevant experience though.
          I agree. I'm not expecting to get work based on a few qualifications but as you say it does increase your awareness of the range of techniques there are. I think my general experience will stand me in good stead and studying for these courses will demonstrate my commitment. I've seen a number of technical business analyst roles (asking for very strong SQL) advertised that probably are the best to target, together with slanting the CV towards all the analysis work I've done.

Thanks for the reply.
          one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            I agree. I'm not expecting to get work based on a few qualifications but as you say it does increase your awareness of the range of techniques there are. I think my general experience will stand me in good stead and studying for these courses will demonstrate my commitment. I've seen a number of technical business analyst roles (asking for very strong SQL) advertised that probably are the best to target, together with slanting the CV towards all the analysis work I've done.

Thanks for the reply.
            That sounds a good route to take.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I agree. I'm not expecting to get work based on a few qualifications but as you say it does increase your awareness of the range of techniques there are.
              I did the British Computer Society exams yonks ago. Nobody was interested in the BCS, but doing the courses did teach me stuff, and the fact that I'd done something, whatever it was, counted for me.

It's true in many spheres. You've heard of Paul Ince. He made the mistake of ignoring coaching qualifications and look where he is now. Starting as an ambitious, thrusting young manager in the 4th division with a seven year plan to become manager of Inter Milan (really), five years later he's a third string radio pundit behind an idiot like Chris Waddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

It's true in many spheres. You've heard of Paul Ince. He made the mistake of ignoring coaching qualifications and look where he is now. Starting as an ambitious, thrusting young manager in the 4th division with a seven year plan to become manager of Inter Milan (really), five years later he's a third string radio pundit behind an idiot like Chris Waddle.
                Flippin' heck! Really?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                  This is what did it for me, I did the foundation exam which was interesting but not as useful as some of the later modules that I read up on but didn't do exams in. What also helped was Prince 2, Agile and ITIL. Also if you can look back on previous roles and pick out any times you performed BA tasks this will help in interviews. Done any requirements gathering/analysis? Or stakeholder management? I'm sure even the most die hard techies have had to at some point whether they like it or not.

If I can go from tape changer to BA anyone can
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Flippin' heck! Really?
                    On reflection, and to be fair, I've seen him as a TV pundit once or twice as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X