• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

God particle found

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God particle found

maybe. Or perhaps something more exotic will be pronounced at the sermon of the mount Cern on Wednesday.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce Higgs boson particle has been discovered on Wednesday | Mail Online

Higgs boson rumours fly as Cern prepares to announce latest results | Science | The Guardian

Not finding something may be news too. This is the same establishment that screwed up the neutrino speed of light measurement a few months back.

Amen.

Remind me, does Higgs prove the standard model is definitely wrong, or support it?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Remind me, does Higgs prove the standard model is definitely wrong, or support it?
      Supports it, but most think the Standard Model is a crock of tulip anyway. A complicated mess of particles.

Comment

If they had definitely proved its existence(or not) someone ould have blurted it by now.

I bet they ask for more money to prove it.

Comment

Word on the amateur boffin street is that professional boffins don't want to find it now.

If the Higgs Boson was proved not to exist it would be more interesting (and would result in more funding - shhh!).

Comment

Proving it doesn't exist is very hard though - all they can prove is it doesn't exist up to the mass their equipment can achieve.

Proving they found SOME particle and proving it behaves exactly like Higgs are presumably a bit different, so that is a whole other area of well-funded investigation
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If there is a god particle surely there must be a devil particle. (Hey! Story idea)
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Perhaps they have discovered reality as perceived by most humans is actually a simulated reality created by sentient machines to pacify and subdue the human population, while their bodies' heat and electrical activity are used as an energy source.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  Perhaps they have discovered reality as perceived by most humans is actually a simulated reality created by sentient machines to pacify and subdue the human population, while their bodies' heat and electrical activity are used as an energy source.
                  Hello, this is Morpheus, there are some people on there way to arrest you, you must leave now!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    Hello, this is Morpheus, there are some people on there way to arrest you, you must leave now!
                    Yes, they are the 'Spelling Police'!
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X