• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what's with these "Low energy, long lasting" lightbulbs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what's with these "Low energy, long lasting" lightbulbs?

Just replaced the one in my home office ceiling a week ago.

It's already packed up.

Put another in, and noticed the packaging says "2 years" on it.

2 years my backside, and these things are about 3-4 times the price of the good old fashioned bulbs.

Should I create a scene by producing the receipt and asking for my money back?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

It's all a con. Some are so faint I have to ask Jeeves to light the candles
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Just replaced the one in my home office ceiling a week ago.

It's already packed up.

Put another in, and noticed the packaging says "2 years" on it.

2 years my backside, and these things are about 3-4 times the price of the good old fashioned bulbs.

Should I create a scene by producing the receipt and asking for my money back?
      you can get them going by vigorous rubbing. I do a quick few mins, then the missus then my lad. hey presto - lasts for years

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Bathtub curve.

LED is now mature, 5W is ~ 50W equivalent and stable, instant on, clean light no flickering.

But they are a tenner.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          you can get them going by vigorous rubbing. I do a quick few mins, then the missus then my lad. hey presto - lasts for years
          oh yeah, and just how does that work then ?
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Bathtub curve.

LED is now mature, 5W is ~ 50W equivalent and stable, instant on, clean light no flickering.

But they are a tenner.
            Buy an HD LED monitor and you'll have millions of those babies for under £200

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              oh yeah, and just how does that work then ?
              because many hands make light work

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

I do wonder if these things "save energy" given the energy used to manufacture them in the first place, not to mention all the nasty metals in them

Comment

How many low energy bulbs does it take to change a light bulb?

Comment

I've got a huge box full of incandescents in the garage. Started to build up my stock when I heard they were going to make us change over to those nasty dim things.

Mind you, I don't give tulip if the low energy things are better or are going to save the planet, I just don't like being told I have to put the mercury-full things in my kids bedrooms and I'm a cantankerous cuss so I reckon I've got enough now to last me until my dotage. (Not long now though )

Comment

Working...
                    X