• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Trio of West Country Pubs Part 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Trio of West Country Pubs Part 1

A weekend of exploring lesser known parts of Devon and Somerset brought my wife and I to a 3 charming hostelries each of which, I feel, merits a detailed account in its own thread.

I shall begin by recounting our visit to a particularly unique establishment in a village not far from from the town of Launceston.

Before I begin, I'd like to point out that we have been privy to matters that were related to us in confidence and so any reference to actual place names or characters, I feel, is precluded.

The first thing that srikes one about the Cock and Bottle upon crossing the threshold to enter its bar is just how small it is. The next impression one gets is that of larger than life landlady, Margolin, who greeted us in her booming voice and
    gestured at the naugahyde covered bar stools for us to make ourselves at home.

Margolin got into the trade after having been a professional dancer for many years and she started to tell us her life story
    as she deftly poured us two pints of Dartmoor Legend (which she whimsically pronounced leg-end).

It turns out Margolin has hoofed it all around the world performing a pas de deux in front of the Queen at the London Palladium to flashing her gusset at our boys in Iraq.

But what amazed us most as we munched on our pork scratchings (and, indeed, serves as the justification for this post) is what she revealed next. You see, Margolin hung up her dancing shoes to become a post mistress. Nothing amazing about that, I hear you say, but she was the post mistress of the very same establishment in which we were imbibing her splendid ales.

Yes, that's right! Inspired by Prince Charles' clarion call to make the pub the hub of the community, Margolin added a pub to her post office where others were adding post offices to their pubs. And not only that, she's now got shot of the post office and the whole ground floor of her house is a pub where the tables were straining 'neath loaded platter as we settled up and bade our farewells after a marvellously enjoyable evening.

PS If anyone wishes to know where we were, please feel free to drop me a PM.

This sockie is duller than ditchwater.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      This sockie is gricer, I suspect

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Gricer was also a sockie.

This one is much duller.

HTH

Comment

Gricer was also a sockie.
          Really? I'm shocked

Comment

Ditchwater is actually quite exciting
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Gricer, Pachers and now this lemon. All from the West Country.

Coincidence or just one sad ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Gricer, Pachers and now this lemon. All from the West Country.

Coincidence or just one sad ?
                The Bridgwater Triangle.

I suspect MF. It has that over-worked self-obsessed dullness - very familiar to those who have come across coke fiends who fancy themselves as the office comic.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I suspect MF
                  Didn't Dim claim gricer?

Comment

Didn't Dim claim gricer?
                    Well if dim claimed it...

Comment

Working...
                    X