PDA

View Full Version : A Trio of West Country Pubs Part 1

Malcolm Buggeridge
2nd July 2012, 20:45
A weekend of exploring lesser known parts of Devon and Somerset brought my wife and I to a 3 charming hostelries each of which, I feel, merits a detailed account in its own thread.

I shall begin by recounting our visit to a particularly unique establishment in a village not far from from the town of Launceston.

Before I begin, I'd like to point out that we have been privy to matters that were related to us in confidence and so any reference to actual place names or characters, I feel, is precluded.

The first thing that srikes one about the Cock and Bottle upon crossing the threshold to enter its bar is just how small it is. The next impression one gets is that of larger than life landlady, Margolin, who greeted us in her booming voice and
gestured at the naugahyde covered bar stools for us to make ourselves at home.

Margolin got into the trade after having been a professional dancer for many years and she started to tell us her life story
as she deftly poured us two pints of Dartmoor Legend (which she whimsically pronounced leg-end).

It turns out Margolin has hoofed it all around the world performing a pas de deux in front of the Queen at the London Palladium to flashing her gusset at our boys in Iraq.

But what amazed us most as we munched on our pork scratchings (and, indeed, serves as the justification for this post) is what she revealed next. You see, Margolin hung up her dancing shoes to become a post mistress. Nothing amazing about that, I hear you say, but she was the post mistress of the very same establishment in which we were imbibing her splendid ales.

Yes, that's right! Inspired by Prince Charles' clarion call to make the pub the hub of the community, Margolin added a pub to her post office where others were adding post offices to their pubs. And not only that, she's now got shot of the post office and the whole ground floor of her house is a pub where the tables were straining 'neath loaded platter as we settled up and bade our farewells after a marvellously enjoyable evening.

PS If anyone wishes to know where we were, please feel free to drop me a PM.

AtW
2nd July 2012, 20:47
:tumble:

This sockie is duller than ditchwater.

Platypus
2nd July 2012, 22:06

This sockie is gricer, I suspect

AtW
2nd July 2012, 22:20

Gricer was also a sockie.

This one is much duller.

HTH

Platypus
2nd July 2012, 22:24
Gricer was also a sockie.

Really? I'm shocked :rolleyes:

MarillionFan
2nd July 2012, 22:30
:tumble:

Ditchwater is actually quite exciting

Pondlife
3rd July 2012, 07:32

Gricer, Pachers and now this lemon. All from the West Country.

Coincidence or just one sad :winker: ?

Old Greg
3rd July 2012, 07:47

The Bridgwater Triangle.

I suspect MF. It has that over-worked self-obsessed dullness - very familiar to those who have come across coke fiends who fancy themselves as the office comic.

Platypus
3rd July 2012, 08:43
I suspect MF

Didn't Dim claim gricer?

Old Greg
3rd July 2012, 13:20
Didn't Dim claim gricer?

Well if dim claimed it...

OwlHoot
3rd July 2012, 13:38
Didn't Dim claim gricer?

Nah, not Dim's laconic style, unless he can also manage to imitate a discursive Stephen Fryish whimsical windbag persona.

I thought I'd sussed who was behind Gricer, but they flat denied it and I can't think of anyone else.

pacharan
3rd July 2012, 14:15

How dare you :mad

oracleslave
3rd July 2012, 14:28
Nah, not Dim's laconic style,

Oh I dunno. He managed to hide behind this personna

View Profile: King Cnvt - Contractor UK Bulletin Board (http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/king-cnvt.html)

for a while before being fingered :eek and banned by admin :eyes

AtW
3rd July 2012, 14:33
for a while before being fingered :eek and banned by admin :eyes

He should have kept up with the payments - "the wife took all my money" does not exactly work with admin.

HTH

Doggy Styles
3rd July 2012, 21:09
Ah Malc, that takes me down memory lane. I was down Devon way on a cricket/golf tour a few years ago, and we were billeted in The Moorland Hotel in Wotter. Not exactly near Launceston, but down the road past Tavistock.

Have you ever been to The Moorland? It's a bit remote, next to the moor in fact, right on the very brink. But it's well worth a visit.

Anyway, the thrust of my story is that, in The Moorland's very well-stocked bar, there was the most amazing juke box, with nearly every punky number on it you could think of! After one hard afternoon chasing balls in Cornwood (who supplied us with fantastic teas by the way) we had a jolly night back at The Moorland with some of the locals and other guests, gyrating and pogo-ing to Stiff Little Fingers and the like.

We all went to bed so late it was only an hour before we had to get up again for a quick 18 holes. We were feeling a little stiff that morning, I can tell you!

Malcolm Buggeridge
4th July 2012, 13:02
Ah Malc, that takes me down memory lane. I was down Devon way on a cricket/golf tour a few years ago, and we were billeted in The Moorland Hotel in Wotter. Not exactly near Launceston, but down the road past Tavistock.

Have you ever been to The Moorland? It's a bit remote, next to the moor in fact, right on the very brink. But it's well worth a visit.

Anyway, the thrust of my story is that, in The Moorland's very well-stocked bar, there was the most amazing juke box, with nearly every punky number on it you could think of! After one hard afternoon chasing balls in Cornwood (who supplied us with fantastic teas by the way) we had a jolly night back at The Moorland with some of the locals and other guests, gyrating and pogo-ing to Stiff Little Fingers and the like.

We all went to bed so late it was only an hour before we had to get up again for a quick 18 holes. We were feeling a little stiff that morning, I can tell you!

Now that sounds very much like the establishment that I am going to detail in A Trio Of West Country Pubs Part 2!

Old Greg
4th July 2012, 13:09
Now that sounds very much like the establishment that I am going to detail in A Trio Of West Country Pubs Part 2!

Isn't Gricer boy's partner called Malc?

Mich the Tester
4th July 2012, 13:10
Isn't Gricer boy's partner called Malc?

Yep.

Funny name for his right hand.

Doggy Styles
4th July 2012, 15:29
Now that sounds very much like the establishment that I am going to detail in A Trio Of West Country Pubs Part 2!The Cock and Bottle didn't ring a bell, but maybe I'll recognise the next one. I was once a regular tourist of the southerly parts.

Have I told you about my mate Ted? He had a magnificent constitution and his arse would peak by the second day of a cricket tour. Several establishments in the area have temporarily emptied as a result. One betting shop in Minehead actually closed temporarily!

pacharan
4th July 2012, 15:47
One betting shop in Minehead actually closed temporarily!

Did you visit Old Mother Leakey's Tearooms by any chance?

Doggy Styles
5th July 2012, 09:34
Did you visit Old Mother Leakey's Tearooms by any chance?Not knowingly, although I do enjoy a good tearoom.

On that tour we were based in Porlock, and so Minehead was just a visit on an afternoon off. I'm buggered if I can remember the name of the Porlock hotel, but I do recall that the proprietor was a short porky chap called Dunny, and he dished up a mean Madras.

Malcolm Buggeridge
5th July 2012, 17:31
Not knowingly, although I do enjoy a good tearoom.

On that tour we were based in Porlock, and so Minehead was just a visit on an afternoon off. I'm buggered if I can remember the name of the Porlock hotel, but I do recall that the proprietor was a short porky chap called Dunny, and he dished up a mean Madras.

Were you in Porlock village or Porlock Weir down by the harbour?

Doggy Styles
5th July 2012, 22:11
Were you in Porlock village or Porlock Weir down by the harbour?Gosh I don't remember a harbour! We were in Porlock itself, with the pubs and houses, and not next to the sea. If I recall correctly, Dunny's hotel was on the main road that goes on to Lynton.

Incidentally, Lynton is another place I've stayed at, although that time was for a Whodunnit weekend called "The Abercrombie Inheritance". Thankfully Ted wasn't with us on that, it was a more refined event!