PDA

View Full Version : First Time Contractor - good source of "what do I do" information needed!

Pangdene
2nd July 2012, 21:21
Hi,

been in permanent employment from day 1, but just been made redundant for the second time in 5 years and have decided to look for my first contract!

There's lots of information out there on the web, but I wondered if anyone could recommend a really good 'getting started' guide or similar? Especially hints & tips for the first-timer?

I believe I have to set-up a limited company rather than go through an umbrella organisation?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

cojak
3rd July 2012, 07:19
Welcome to CUK Pangdene.

Take a look at the thread on the top of this board (Welcome/FAQs), they will help you to search for your questions.

Please also read the Nettiquette thread, this will help to avoid abuse from the regulars on the rest of the board ;)

On the right border you will find the First Timer's Guide, that will provide answers to your questions.

Good Luck!

ThomserveBAS
3rd July 2012, 07:20
Before the regulars turn up and rip you to bits, have a look at the links down the right hand side of this site. It has everything you need to get going! As a newbie myself, I recommend you do a bit of reading before you post your next quetion :wink

EDIT: Beaten to it :igmc:

cojak
3rd July 2012, 07:25
No one is allow to rip newbies to shreds in this forum Thomas.

Even suspect posters will be treated with respect.

Diver
3rd July 2012, 07:27
Hi,

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

And you will get plenty of help on here :smokin

Welcome and just to kick start your cuk'manship
this is all make believe so take nothing personal as the rabble on here will bait you mercilessly.
It is a cuk hazing tradition :D

Good luck and look forward to more posts :wave:

ThomserveBAS
3rd July 2012, 07:48

It was meant tongue-in-cheek and there wasn't a suitable smiley but there are plenty examples of newbies posting questions only for some of the more senior members to wade in and slap them down, especially with open-ended questions like "where can I get more information" when most of it is in front of them :D

Anyway here's a bit of lovin' for a rainy Tuesday morning :hug:

malvolio
3rd July 2012, 07:59
OK, so in the spirit of being helpful....

Go to this link - Document Download | PCG (http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_pcg_download_request) - and download the Guide. Between that one and the CUK one, you should have everything covered.

chef
3rd July 2012, 08:05
Howdy,

Just a few quick questions to get you thinking about things:

1) why do you want to go contracting? is it because you like the idea of running your own company and taking control of your destiny (well, as much as can be expected) or is it simply that you want to earn more money?

2) Do you have a good grasp of finances? by that I mean are you the sort of person who see's a figure in a bank account and thinks that's what I can spend? or are you the sort that can budget, financial plan, invest in a rainy day, save etc.?

3) What skills do you have? one of the main reasons contractors are employed is because they are easily hired/fired stop gap solutions to install/build/manage/fix a problem the company has, to be able to do this you either need a good wealth of background knowledge and/or the latest skillset in your field of expertise. If you don't have this it's no the end of the world but you should seriously consider paying for some training courses to improve your chances of being desirable from a companies point of view and therefore find work.

4) You have control over certain aspects of what you do, where you do them but ultimately you can't cherry pick your work until you have funds in the bank that allow you to take time off and wait for the perfect contract to come along. Therefore, are you prepared to work away from home mon-fri, live in hotels and not know where you will be in 3/6/9 months time? having a personal life with a non-understanding wife, new born children or any other sort of "baggage" does not mean you're not cut out for contracting but should atleast be considered before taking the plunge.

Oh and Welcome :wave:

northernladuk
3rd July 2012, 09:45
Like a lamb to the slaughter........ :D

cojak
3rd July 2012, 09:52
It was meant tongue-in-cheek and there wasn't a suitable smiley but there are plenty examples of newbies posting questions only for some of the more senior members to wade in and slap them down, especially with open-ended questions like "where can I get more information" when most of it is in front of them :D

Anyway here's a bit of lovin' for a rainy Tuesday morning :hug:

That post wasn't really for you Thomas, it was meant for the newbies who might be thinking of posting in the future. The world doesn't revolve around you, you know :)

SimonMac
3rd July 2012, 10:42

Awwww but mum! You never let us have any fun anymore :tantrum:

Meera @ K&B Accountancy
3rd July 2012, 11:06
Hi There

You really need to establish the most suitable and compliant solution for you in the first instance. A good umbrella and limited company provider should be able to guide you through your options and tell you the differences including potential net income on each option as well as legalities you need to be aware of, such as IR35.

Mod snip: or not Meera. Please read the T&Cs of these forums. If you want to promote your company while helping regulars, please ask admin to change your login to meera@myco.com

ThomserveBAS
3rd July 2012, 11:20
The world doesn't revolve around you, you know :)

Dammit! When did that change?!

p.s. my name isn't Thomas ;)

cojak
3rd July 2012, 11:35
Dammit! When did that change?!

p.s. my name isn't Thomas ;)

You don't say, my name isn't cojak... :rolleyes:

ThomserveBAS
3rd July 2012, 11:46

Firstly, I never said it was and secondly, nowhere in my username does it say Thomas :laugh

Anyway, totally off topic.

I got a lot of the information I needed for the administrative side of becoming a contractor mainly from this site, but also with a bit of Google action chucked in. Got my limited company registered, bank account opened and accountants on hand using my peers who are already contracting.

Setting everything up is easy, getting a contract on the other hand (in my experience so far) is no, but YMMV.

I cannot recommend LinkedIn highly enough, as well as being your shop window, it is also a great tool to get your name about by networking with like-minded individuals. I've also been doing a lot of offline networking using friends and friends of friends to get me into their circles.

northernladuk
3rd July 2012, 12:33
Firstly, I never said it was and secondly, nowhere in my username does it say Thomas :laugh

Thomas is a better name than Thomserve IMO Changed it by deed poll?

SimonMac
3rd July 2012, 14:14

Next you will be telling us that's not you sucking on a lollipop :eek:

northernladuk
3rd July 2012, 14:36

My world is falling apart :(

Wanderer
3rd July 2012, 19:37

You've totally ruined it for me too now.

Waldorf
4th July 2012, 09:06
Hi,

been in permanent employment from day 1, but just been made redundant for the second time in 5 years and have decided to look for my first contract!

There's lots of information out there on the web, but I wondered if anyone could recommend a really good 'getting started' guide or similar? Especially hints & tips for the first-timer?

I believe I have to set-up a limited company rather than go through an umbrella organisation?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

This is quite a good guide provided by my accountant http://www.nixonwilliams.com/images/pdf/Limited%20Company%20Guide.pdf

kaiser78
4th July 2012, 09:24

Who loves ya baby ?

Pangdene
5th July 2012, 10:17
Thanks for everyone's replies! :)

It was a very open-ended question I admit, but it's a start!

Cheers!
Mark :)