• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contractor - good source of "what do I do" information needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Contractor - good source of "what do I do" information needed!

Hi,

been in permanent employment from day 1, but just been made redundant for the second time in 5 years and have decided to look for my first contract!

There's lots of information out there on the web, but I wondered if anyone could recommend a really good 'getting started' guide or similar? Especially hints & tips for the first-timer?

I believe I have to set-up a limited company rather than go through an umbrella organisation?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
    Mark

Welcome to CUK Pangdene.

Take a look at the thread on the top of this board (Welcome/FAQs), they will help you to search for your questions.

Please also read the Nettiquette thread, this will help to avoid abuse from the regulars on the rest of the board

On the right border you will find the First Timer's Guide, that will provide answers to your questions.

Good Luck!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Before the regulars turn up and rip you to bits, have a look at the links down the right hand side of this site. It has everything you need to get going! As a newbie myself, I recommend you do a bit of reading before you post your next quetion

EDIT: Beaten to it

Comment

No one is allow to rip newbies to shreds in this forum Thomas.

Even suspect posters will be treated with respect.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by Pangdene View Post
          Hi,

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
          Mark
          And you will get plenty of help on here

Welcome and just to kick start your cuk'manship
          this is all make believe so take nothing personal as the rabble on here will bait you mercilessly.
          It is a cuk hazing tradition

Good luck and look forward to more posts
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            No one is allow to rip newbies to shreds in this forum Thomas.

Even suspect posters will be treated with respect.
            It was meant tongue-in-cheek and there wasn't a suitable smiley but there are plenty examples of newbies posting questions only for some of the more senior members to wade in and slap them down, especially with open-ended questions like "where can I get more information" when most of it is in front of them

Anyway here's a bit of lovin' for a rainy Tuesday morning

Comment

OK, so in the spirit of being helpful....

Go to this link - Document Download | PCG - and download the Guide. Between that one and the CUK one, you should have everything covered.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Howdy,

Just a few quick questions to get you thinking about things:

1) why do you want to go contracting? is it because you like the idea of running your own company and taking control of your destiny (well, as much as can be expected) or is it simply that you want to earn more money?

2) Do you have a good grasp of finances? by that I mean are you the sort of person who see's a figure in a bank account and thinks that's what I can spend? or are you the sort that can budget, financial plan, invest in a rainy day, save etc.?

3) What skills do you have? one of the main reasons contractors are employed is because they are easily hired/fired stop gap solutions to install/build/manage/fix a problem the company has, to be able to do this you either need a good wealth of background knowledge and/or the latest skillset in your field of expertise. If you don't have this it's no the end of the world but you should seriously consider paying for some training courses to improve your chances of being desirable from a companies point of view and therefore find work.

4) You have control over certain aspects of what you do, where you do them but ultimately you can't cherry pick your work until you have funds in the bank that allow you to take time off and wait for the perfect contract to come along. Therefore, are you prepared to work away from home mon-fri, live in hotels and not know where you will be in 3/6/9 months time? having a personal life with a non-understanding wife, new born children or any other sort of "baggage" does not mean you're not cut out for contracting but should atleast be considered before taking the plunge.

Oh and Welcome
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Like a lamb to the slaughter........
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
                    It was meant tongue-in-cheek and there wasn't a suitable smiley but there are plenty examples of newbies posting questions only for some of the more senior members to wade in and slap them down, especially with open-ended questions like "where can I get more information" when most of it is in front of them

Anyway here's a bit of lovin' for a rainy Tuesday morning
                    That post wasn't really for you Thomas, it was meant for the newbies who might be thinking of posting in the future. The world doesn't revolve around you, you know

Comment

Working...
                    X