• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

chilli's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chilli's

so, my first ever harvest of 9 strong green chillies have been picked, anyone have a good green chilli based recipe?

Indian, Thai, Mexican, any cuisine is acceptable
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Rather than hiding them away behing a load of other spices, you should make yourself some fajitas or similar but finely chop and sprinkle the raw chillis on after.

Comment

Put one in a bottle of vodka with some mint leaves & leave for 2-3 months
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

What type of chilli is it?

I grow quite a few varieties, so know a few thigns to do with them, although, if you like chutney, look up Jamie Olivers chilli and pepper chutney. It really, really is very, very tasty, if a bit fiddly to make. Probably the best chutney I have tasted.

Comment

Well done chef.
          an average plant can supply enough chilles for a year.

Hang a bit of thread somewhere out of the way, nick the stems with a knife and hang the chilles on it.
          When the have dried out, grind them up, mix them with water and make ice cubes with them.
          They are then perfect for adding to recipes at short notice and without risking chille-to-hand-to-saus-burn.

my favourite chille recipe. serves 2 for 2 days.

.8kg mince
          2 onions
          lots of mushrooms
          6 tomato
          3 sweet chilles
          2 chille con carne mix
          2 tins kidney beans
          crusty bread
          3 red hot chilles
          3 whole peppercorns

put a pint of water in a very large pan, med heat
          add the mince
          finely chop in the onions
          half the tomatoes and add
          half the mushrooms and add
          remove the inside husks from the sweet chilles and slice in
          salt and pepper
          chop in two red hot chilles
          throw in a whole chille

simmer for 90 minutes

add the beans
          mix in the chille mixes slowly

serve with crusty bread

you could use half the ingrediants, but you would probably only get half the amount of chille

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm still waiting for mine this year. We've got lots on the go in the greenhouse plus loads in the freezer from last year.

Whenever I go to a Thai\Chinese etc I always ask for chopped chillies in soy sauce on the side so I can spice up my food to the required heat if necessary. I've got a bottle of soy sauce and home made chillies that I use at home for the same thing.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I'm still waiting for mine this year. We've got lots on the go in the greenhouse plus loads in the freezer from last year.

Whenever I go to a Thai\Chinese etc I always ask for chopped chillies in soy sauce on the side so I can spice up my food to the required heat if necessary. I've got a bottle of soy sauce and home made chillies that I use at home for the same thing.
              I pickle heaps of chillies each year, and they're lovely with a meal. Favourite to pickle is a banana F1 hybrid, which is sweet, fleshy, but also hot. I also make 'sambol' which is chilli with coconut, and lovely as a condiment. Not tried the chilli with Soy sauce, so will give that a go this year. Although this year not going so well...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                bum scorching advice
                Addendum: best eaten on a friday so there's a bog close at hand the following 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  Although this year not going so well...
                  Apache (F1) and Navaho on the go this year, very slow though with the weather even though they're in the greenhouse. Not tried pickling them but really should as I love them with a home made kebab.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                    What type of chilli is it?

I grow quite a few varieties, so know a few thigns to do with them, although, if you like chutney, look up Jamie Olivers chilli and pepper chutney. It really, really is very, very tasty, if a bit fiddly to make. Probably the best chutney I have tasted.
                    will give the chilli chutney a try, the chilli's are 'Fireflame' (Capsicum annuum longum)
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X