• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Dilema

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Dilema

I have been fortunate enough, that I have not been benched in about 10 years. However, with the typical contractors mentality, that means I have not really taken a long break in 10 years, just the occassional holiday. My wife has said I am getting no younger, and our kids are growing up, aged 9, 6 and 1. She's suggested we take a sabbatical, a year out and have an adventure somewhere. Being the wrong side of 40, and closer to the 50, I am thinking it is suicide, professionally, and that we should stay on the ride until the fairground leaves town. However, that's contractor mentality.

She's suggesting going to North America for a year in a campervan or buying a narrow boat and cruising the canals of europe or backpacking around Asia.

Which one of us is crazy, and if it is me, any other ideas for a year out en famille?

I'd probably go to Bob land for the final month for a spot of plenty cheapness training to get me back in the spirit of things. Or should that be US? Do you think taking a sabbatical would look good or bad? Or do you think I should work while I can, and expect it to dry up soon anyway? My current gig is up next May, which would have the kids closer to 10, 7 and 2, and we want to have the kids settled by the eldests 11th anyway.

Not too sure what to do really.

Get a new wife...

HTH

You can have mine if you want....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You could **** off and crawl back under the rock you appeared from.

Just saying, like.

Comment

A year is a long time, could you cope with not working for that long (I mean in your head rather than wallet?) Maybe take a few months between contracts but more regularly. I try to average it out so I work 7 months out of 12, that way I don't have too many long gaps of not working, but I get some quality time with the family between gigs.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          I have been fortunate enough, that I have not been benched in about 10 years. However, with the typical contractors mentality, that means I have not really taken a long break in 10 years, just the occassional holiday. My wife has said I am getting no younger, and our kids are growing up, aged 9, 6 and 1. She's suggested we take a sabbatical, a year out and have an adventure somewhere. Being the wrong side of 40, and closer to the 50, I am thinking it is suicide, professionally, and that we should stay on the ride until the fairground leaves town. However, that's contractor mentality.

She's suggesting going to North America for a year in a campervan or buying a narrow boat and cruising the canals of europe or backpacking around Asia.

Which one of us is crazy, and if it is me, any other ideas for a year out en famille?

I'd probably go to Bob land for the final month for a spot of plenty cheapness training to get me back in the spirit of things. Or should that be US? Do you think taking a sabbatical would look good or bad? Or do you think I should work while I can, and expect it to dry up soon anyway? My current gig is up next May, which would have the kids closer to 10, 7 and 2, and we want to have the kids settled by the eldests 11th anyway.

Not too sure what to do really.
          About two months into (very) early retirement, I'm getting bored already. A year is too much IMHO - especially with family, a little absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
          I would compromise on a 3 month luxury holiday somwhere very nice indeed. By then any frazzles will be ironed out and you'll be raring to go again.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You can have mine if you want....
            Most of us already have had NorthernLadyUK, and still have the fleas to prove it
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              A year is a long time, could you cope with not working for that long (I mean in your head rather than wallet?) Maybe take a few months between contracts but more regularly. I try to average it out so I work 7 months out of 12, that way I don't have too many long gaps of not working, but I get some quality time with the family between gigs.
              Sounds sensible. Start off by trying it out for a month - that should do you the world of good.

Comment

I'm a bit younger at 35 - but I think your wife is probably right.

It will enrich your children and your relationship and also give you better perspective (it did me , anyway).

For child friendly I would in no way suggest taking an infant to Asia - I think that probably is a bit too far.

I'd suggest Canada or Australia / New Zealand as being good child friendly places, with no language barrier and good support should your kids have health issues.

We went to Canada with 2000 quid between us in 2005 and came back with 3000 in 2007. If you're taking a year out "mini-settle" somewhere and get a contract for a 3 month term.

Comment

Are you sure she didn't say YOU take a sabbatical and go abroad for a year?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    I'm a bit younger at 35 - but I think your wife is probably right.

It will enrich your children and your relationship and also give you better perspective (it did me , anyway).

For child friendly I would in no way suggest taking an infant to Asia - I think that probably is a bit too far.

I'd suggest Canada or Australia / New Zealand as being good child friendly places, with no language barrier and good support should your kids have health issues.
                    Australia sounds good for a month - try palm beach (where home & away is filmed). Once you are fed up of the sun and heat you can be sure to come back to torrential rain and mild/cold weather.

Comment

Working...
                    X