• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clever old Bobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clever old Bobs

BBC News - India-based gang held over £150,000 cash machine trick

India-based fraudsters who had found a novel way to steal money by tricking cash machines have been arrested, according to local reports.

The gang would request to withdraw large amounts of cash, but only take a portion of the notes, making the machine think none were taken.

The gang would then make a claim for the money to be put back into their account by their bank.

An expert told the BBC that such attempts in the UK would be futile.

"Theoretically it's possible," said Graham Mott, a spokesman for Link, the UK's cash machine network.

"But it will be spotted and will be investigated."

Investigators said the Indian gang would use a cash machine to make withdrawals of 10,000 rupees (£115), but would only take 9,900 rupees from the pile of dispensed money.

The remaining 100 rupees - the last note - would then be taken back in by the machine.

The gang would then claim back the 10,000 rupees, using the failed transaction notice as evidence of not receiving the cash.

I once withdrew £100 - early nineties I think. Alliance and Leicester, King Street at junction with cheapside.

Money took AGES to come out - that had happened before and transaction rejected. On my account it showed -£100 and plus £100 where rejection had taken place. But in this case I had -£100 and +£100 : and I had the £100!

Comment

An Indian company just ordered a £3.20 guide from our website. It took about 6 emails before they figured out how to do it. And they emailed back the confirmation emails sent from our site and the card handler just in case we didn't have them.

PS Now we have another confirmation email with bits cut n pasted from the website confirming what their order was.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 3 July 2012, 12:16.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I wonder what would happen with UK cash machines if you failed to remove all of the notes. Would it take back in the failed one?
        I might have a go at that, but instead insert a note with a rude message for them.
        Or maybe I'll just stick my tie in there, and go on a sit-down protest..

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          I might have a go at that, but instead insert a note with a rude message for them.
          Don't forget to smile when you do it - you'll be on TV...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            An Indian company just ordered a £3.20 guide from our website. It took about 6 emails before they figured out how to do it. And they emailed back the confirmation emails sent from our site and the card handler just in case we didn't have them.

PS Now we have another confirmation email with bits cut n pasted from the website confirming what their order was.
            They're testing your systems looking for vulnerabilities.

You're f*cked or very soon will be.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              I wonder what would happen with UK cash machines if you failed to remove all of the notes. Would it take back in the failed one?
              Or maybe I'll just stick my tie in there, and go on a sit-down protest..
              I dont think UK machines take the money back in hence the prompt to make sure you take your card and the money.

However, the LINK guy did acknowledge there could potentially be some flaw in their system.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I dont think UK machines take the money back in hence the prompt to make sure you take your card and the money.

However, the LINK guy did acknowledge there could potentially be some flaw in their system.
                They do take the money back, I know i've seen the machines pull the money back in.

Try it.

Comment

Maybe there's a LIBOR machine in the City of London. It all sounds rather familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

They do take the money back, I know i've seen the machines pull the money back in.

Try it.
                    WHS - I once wandered off from a cash machine without actually taking the money. But I later found out it whisks it back in if not taken within about 30 seconds, and despite this happening in central London my money was safe.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X