• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, levy legal on prisoners wages.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, levy legal on prisoners wages.

Shocked I, that his earnings would be cut from £210 to £140 each week...

£210 per week? A prisoner?

Link

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

Link
    That's bonkers. Totally bonkers.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Link
      £210 a week!
      I hope they're doing something more complicated than changing tapes or else Milan is in the wring job
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Link
        Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        But they are being prepared for release. I would rather they had a job than going back to a life of crime.

Quite right that they should pay towards the victims though.

Comment

I am assuming that's £210 a week in the hand. I also presume they dont have to pay for lodgings and food.

That's better than minimum wage...

Comment

What's bonkers? The amount the prisoners earn or the levy?

I suppose earning a bit inside aims to get them into the habit of working for a living once they're out (although of course not everyone is in jail for not earning an honest living).
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              What's bonkers? The amount the prisoners earn or the levy?

I suppose earning a bit inside aims to get them into the habit of working for a living once they're out (although of course not everyone is in jail for not earning an honest living).
              The amount they earn is bonkers. It should be £20-£30 and not wages that are comparable with outside.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The amount they earn is bonkers. It should be £20-£30 and not wages that are comparable with outside.
                RTFA. That's what they earn from doing a job on the outside, not prison work for which they are paid **** all.

Comment

Most of them do earn much less than that. When approaching release, though, it doesn't make sense to bump people out on the streets with no way of supporting themselves. If they did, the prisons would be even more full than they already are, because a choice between eating and stealing would be no choice at all.

Comment

""In the first six months, nearly £400,000 has been raised through the Prisoners' Earnings Act for Victim Support."

That's not like even big enough to pay one bankers bonus.

Comment

Working...
                    X