• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet Another Knock Back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another Knock Back

I can't believe it.
    Five bloody interviews in the last couple of months and each time it's been that I was really good but just pipped by someone else.
    Bah! Used to be that if I got to interview, I got the job. I've never had two failing interviews in a row before, let alone five. Perhaps I've become a bit tulip in my dotage.

Actually, one thing that I have noticed is that I think my CV has become a bit too detailed. This gives the interviewer too much scope for probing questions about projects I've worked on and as I spend my time fielding questions, I don't get enough opportunity to highlight what I want to highlight. Time to do some trimming I think and to see if that helps.

There again, I am quite enjoying being able to stay up into the wee hours drinking Stella and then wasting half the day by lying in bed. Followed of course by getting up and undertaking a frantic hour or two of DIY tasks before the wife gets home to make it look like I've been busy since she went to work in the morning.

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    I can't believe it.
    Five bloody interviews in the last couple of months and each time it's been that I was really good but just pipped by someone else.
    Bah! Used to be that if I got to interview, I got the job. I've never had two failing interviews in a row before, let alone five. Perhaps I've become a bit tulip in my dotage.

Actually, one thing that I have noticed is that I think my CV has become a bit too detailed. This gives the interviewer too much scope for probing questions about projects I've worked on and as I spend my time fielding questions, I don't get enough opportunity to highlight what I want to highlight. Time to do some trimming I think and to see if that helps.

There again, I am quite enjoying being able to stay up into the wee hours drinking Stella and then wasting half the day by lying in bed. Followed of course by getting up and undertaking a frantic hour or two of DIY tasks before the wife gets home to make it look like I've been busy since she went to work in the morning.
    Back luck, old chap. If you've had success in the past, though, take heart from that fact and know that it's probably just the state of the market right now, and not you. It's difficult to know how detailed to make your CV. I've never found the conventional wisdom that a shorter CV is better to be true, particularly for contracting jobs. It certainly makes it easier for middlemen like HR and agencies that don't really know the detail of what you do to quickly sort your CV into "no" and "maybe" piles, but I've always found it nothing but beneficial once I got into the interview room to have plenty of documented experience to base our discussion upon. I try and walk the middle ground of having an easily sift-able CV that is also appealing to decision makers by having a summary table prominently displayed on the first page, showing a list of discrete technologies and the number of years I've been using them. The rest of my CV is geared at the hiring manager themselves, and has far more detail.

Anyway, I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you. I hope things look up for you soon.

Comment

5?? Wait till you are well in to double figures then start worrying... Keep plugging..

Do you think highlighting what you want to highlight is what the interviewer is after? Highlight what he wants you to highlight?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
        I can't believe it.

Had a tough patch last year. Too many people after too few agency contracts. In the end I started putting proper time and effort into former colleagues and clients.

Now all is well. Keep going, buddy

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          5?? Wait till you are well in to double figures then start worrying... Keep plugging..

Do you think highlighting what you want to highlight is what the interviewer is after? Highlight what he wants you to highlight?
          Five! He's become punch drunk!!!

Five! Jesus.

MF in (38-0-1 Interview to Contract Ratio) mode.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Five! He's become punch drunk!!!

Five! Jesus.

MF in (38-0-1 Interview to Contract Ratio) mode.
            What's the zero for? Draws?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              What's the zero for? Draws?
              My bad. Should be 37-0-1.

When I hit 40 contracts I'm retiring.

Comment

Let me know your availability dates in 2022

Comment

From posting on CUK?
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    From posting on CUK?
                    You wish droopy drawers.

Comment

Working...
                    X