• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montrez moi l'argent rosbiff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montrez moi l'argent rosbiff

And so it begins(Or carries on) .....

Francois Hollande announces French tax grab on holiday homes - Telegraph

Approximately 200,000 Britons own second homes in areas such as the Dordogne and other parts of France, particularly those serviced by budget airlines.

Now, however, holiday home owners find themselves in the sights of President François Hollande as he seeks to tax the better-off to reduce France's large budget deficit.

On Wednesday (July 4th), the French government announced it was to increase taxes on foreign-owned second homes. Tax on rental income would rise from 20 per cent to 35.5 per cent, and capital gains tax on property sales would rise from 19 per cent to 34.5 per cent. The extra in each case is being labelled a "social charge".

A Treasury source said on Wednesday night: "We will need to study the details. But we will of course challenge any proposal which breaches European single market laws and anti-discrimination rules."

It is understood that President Sarkozy proposed a similar tax increase last year which was also challenged by the British Government.

The rise in tax on rental income will be retrospective, from Jan 1 this year. The increase in capital gains tax applies from the end of this month, meaning property owners will have little time to escape the increased tax by selling their homes.
    David Cameron infuriated the French last month by promising Britain would "roll out the red carpet" to wealthy French citizens and companies who wanted to emigrate and pay their taxes in Britain.
    Holiday home owners already pay two other taxes to the French government: the taxe fonciere, which is paid by the house owner and the taxe d'habitation, which is paid by those who live in it.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Holiday home owners already pay two other taxes to the French government: the taxe fonciere, which is paid by the house owner and the taxe d'habitation, which is paid by those who live in it.
    My guess is that if this new tax is challenged in European courts on the grounds of discrimination, the two existing taxes will be stuffed as well. Idiotic proposal.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

There's nothing new here really. I also expected it to happen. If you buy through an SCI (Societe Civile Immobiliere), you can immunise yourself against the CGT and you don't make enough money out of it to make renting worthwhile, if you bag the summer months anyway.

If you are interested in buying a French home, so it through your Ltd. Set up an SCI and make it a partner in the Ltd. You can then give it dividends, tax free, and purchase the house through your company, effectively saving you 20%. You just can't let it out if you do, or you can, but it has to be unfirnished.

The only bit about this, if they get it through, is it will make buying one even cheaper. You can't give rural French property away at the moment, as the French don't want it, and the English people who are inevitably selling it, are desperate to sell.

Tax fonciere and d'habitation is just like council tax effectively. Not as much though, normally, depends how far you are from services etc and whether you are on mains sewer etc. This will not change regardless.

Comment

Nice reply

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        There's nothing new here really. I also expected it to happen. If you buy through an SCI (Societe Civile Immobiliere), you can immunise yourself against the CGT and you don't make enough money out of it to make renting worthwhile, if you bag the summer months anyway.

If you are interested in buying a French home, so it through your Ltd. Set up an SCI and make it a partner in the Ltd. You can then give it dividends, tax free, and purchase the house through your company, effectively saving you 20%. You just can't let it out if you do, or you can, but it has to be unfirnished.

The only bit about this, if they get it through, is it will make buying one even cheaper. You can't give rural French property away at the moment, as the French don't want it, and the English people who are inevitably selling it, are desperate to sell.

Tax fonciere and d'habitation is just like council tax effectively. Not as much though, normally, depends how far you are from services etc and whether you are on mains sewer etc. This will not change regardless.
        Concise, informative and beneficial reply.... very unusual for this forum
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Whatever the legalities may be, I must say I sympathise with the French here. If you're not going to be part and parcel of a given society, then why should you enjoy its benefits at the same rate of tax as people that invest their whole lives in the country? There's been a few eyebrows raised recently about the number of French ex pats living in London, but at least they live and pay taxes here full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
            Whatever the legalities may be, I must say I sympathise with the French here. If you're not going to be part and parcel of a given society, then why should you enjoy its benefits at the same rate of tax as people that invest their whole lives in the country? There's been a few eyebrows raised recently about the number of French ex pats living in London, but at least they live and pay taxes here full time.
            Are your sure about that?
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Again, like the other thread, probably best arm yourself with soem information before you comment. We do pay taxes, and also, as most ex-pats live in rurally, we support local businesses. If you did what a lot of us have done, you'd realise the French love us as, generally, we're francophiles, can speak French and are part of the community when we are there. Those that let theirs out, already pay high taxes. Those that visit, even without owning, also, are normally francophiles who put a lot of money into the local communities.

Speak to a French person about the rosbiffs and outside of a few 'genial' nationalists, we are fairly universally loved.

Now ask a Spaniard/Italian/Portuguese what they think of the people that pile over into their hotels...

Edit: If you killed off ownership aspirations in rural france, you would kill off rural france altogether. If you have been, you would udnerstand most young adults fire off to the local cities and towns, rarely to return. The English/Germans/Dutch who purchase out there are keeping the rural areas of france alive. Go over there and speak to them before you chuck in the ill informed comments; this isn't like cornwall and devon, where local communties are being priced out by second home buyers; these places would die without us. We know it, they know it.
              Last edited by Old Hack; 5 July 2012, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Are your sure about that?
                I'm sure that's my opinion, yes.

Comment

I'm sure that's my opinion, yes.
                  You should get out and about love.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

.. You can't give rural French property away at the moment, as the French don't want it, ...
                    That's what I heard, but found it hard to believe. Apparently most French much prefer to live literally on top of each other packed into appartementes, or however one spells it, in crowded cities. Barking mad the lot of 'em ..
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X