• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the new Pot Noodle advert racist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A RACE storm could be brewing down a fictional Welsh noodle mine.

The Advertising Standards Authority has received 37 complaints about a Pot Noodle advert which features miners digging for noodles in a Crumlin pit, accompanied by a male voice choir soundtrack. Some have described the advert as "racist".

The advert, which is set in Crumlin, where Unilever's real-life Pot Noodle factory is based, ends with the slogan "Fuel of Britain, isn't it".

If the complaints are upheld, makers Unilever could find the advert following in the footsteps of its 2002 Pot Noodle campaign, which was taken off-screen after receiving 414 complaints.

A spokesman for the Advertising Standards Authority said it would be investigating whether anyone could be offended by the commercial.

He said, "We have a duty to make sure nothing racist is broadcast. We will make our decision pending an investigation."

But a spokesman for Unilever described allegations of racism as "ludicrous".

The 10 "miners" who appear in the campaign all work at the Crumlin plant, and several formerly worked down the coal pits.

He said, "To say the advert is racist is ludicrous given the snacks are made in Wales and our staff are delighted to be in it."

Lembit Opik, Shadow Welsh Secretary for the Liberal Democrats, said the advert didn't make fun of Welsh people, but of Welsh stereotypes.

He said, "The joke isn't on the Welsh, but on people who'd think noodles are mined in Wales. It's the same as people thinking haggis are Scottish animals."
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

I really wonder what type of person would be offended by an advert like this?? A steryotypical anal retentive methinks

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
      I really wonder what type of person would be offended by an advert like this??
      The same sort of person who wants us to celebrate Winter Festival in December. In other words, an arse.

Comment

No. Next ....
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

He said, "The joke isn't on the Welsh, but on people who'd think noodles are mined in Wales. It's the same as people thinking haggis are Scottish animals."
          Everyone one knows Haggis are Scottish animals, there are left handed ones which run clockwise round the mountains and right handed ones that run anti-clockwise.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            Everyone one knows Haggis are Scottish animals, there are left handed ones which run clockwise round the mountains and right handed ones that run anti-clockwise.
            This is true. I have seen them. I even saw one running in a straight line (must have been ambidextrous).
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Everyone one
              Turn your echoe off Threaded you sound like you are in the bath, oh tulip, that is an image I don't need.

Haggis are limited to the direction of travel due to the odd lengths of their legs which is an evolutionary thing due to the steepness of the slopes they live on.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Yes they'd like you to believe that.

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                Turn your echoe off Threaded you sound like you are in the bath, oh tulip, that is an image I don't need.

Haggis are limited to the direction of travel due to the odd lengths of their legs which is an evolutionary thing due to the steepness of the slopes they live on.
                What you don't see is the yearly haggis-docking in the highlands.
                Groups of men chasing these small animals round the glens, and when they catch them they lop off half of the front and back left legs (the long-left-legged-haggis is a myth).
                All in the name of high-cuisine. Shocking I call it.

Outraged of Osthlethwaite.
                Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman

echo*

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                    echo*

TWAT twat twat twat at at
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X