• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed

More specifically, 67% of the available IT jobs will be for managerial/senior professionals, including software experts but mainly ICT managers and IT strategists/planners; 17% will be for technicians (operations, support), 8% will be for skilled tradesmen (telecoms/computer engineers). The remaining 8% of IT jobs will be for administrative techies, such as database assistants.
    Given that the manager / wannabee manager / techie ratio on my current project is approx 8:4:2 this does not bode well.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

You're gonna have to give us some context here, doodab. If this is an article from the BBC it's going to be a different set of responses you'll get to if it's just some graffiti you've copied off of the ClientCo's toilet wall, old chap.

Comment

Just have to build up to senior professional then. 20 odd years should do it, in your mid forties.

Laughing. Or be niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        You're gonna have to give us some context here, doodab. If this is an article from the BBC it's going to be a different set of responses you'll get to if it's just some graffiti you've copied off of the ClientCo's toilet wall, old chap.
        Ah sorry, twas on the front page of CUK.

UK IT needs 129,000 newbies a year until 2020 :: Contractor UK

I find it hard to believe the UK needs an additional 99,160 IT managers a year for 8 years (that's more than 3/4 of a million) and the idea that 86,430 of them per year will be
        people moving into the IT/Telecoms space from an unrelated occupation, or from education, or from some other type of “inactive” status (such as a carer).
        seems frankly dangerous.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Ah sorry, twas on the front page of CUK.

UK IT needs 129,000 newbies a year until 2020 :: Contractor UK

I find it hard to believe the UK needs an additional 99,160 IT managers a year for 8 years (that's more than 3/4 of a million) and the idea that 86,430 of them per year will be seems frankly dangerous.
          Ah, thank you. It doesn't seem to add up, does it?; that there would be a need for more managers than people to be managed? Having said that, I've worked in some places large and small where everybody seemed to be Director of Printing, VP Maker of Tea or some other such pretentious title that mysteriously didn't have any actual responsibility or involve actually managing any other person.

Comment

I know what you mean, I have worked under Technical Managers who had no idea of what she was doing. Made me laugh, at one stage arguing with the Spatial DBA's that GIS meant Graphical Information Systems, and not Geographical...

Sheesh, some managers must have slept their way into lots of positions, I know this one did...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              I know what you mean, I have worked under Technical Managers who had no idea of what she was doing. Made me laugh, at one stage arguing with the Spatial DBA's that GIS meant Graphical Information Systems, and not Geographical...

Sheesh, some managers must have slept their way into lots of positions, I know this one did...
              Was that not a bit of a clue, just there ?
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

This has been the hope and strategy of the UK (as well as the US) for the past 30 years I guess: to turn into a country of managers. Who's left to manage? Well, developing nations. But why are they called developing? Because they're developing their own economies, including their own waffling managers and entrepreneurs to usurp the BS. What is left then for the West? It will be a case of:

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
                Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

I love the smell of vacancies in the morning, ...................

Smelled like … ICTs.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
                    This has been the hope and strategy of the UK (as well as the US) for the past 30 years I guess: to turn into a country of managers. Who's left to manage? Well, developing nations. But why are they called developing? Because they're developing their own economies, including their own waffling managers and entrepreneurs to usurp the BS. What is left then for the West? It will be a case of:

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
                    But if we import indians to do the managing won't that balance out. They can sit in the corner and manage each other and the contractors can get on with the work.

Comment

Working...
                    X