• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving Ideas vs Pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving Ideas vs Pension

Hi there.

Having had a good look around, I can see that there are people firmly in the anti-pension camp and those in the pro-pension camp.

I'm 28, currently have good day-rate and am averse to using standard savings accounts. I have some share and fund investments and have used my cash ISA allowance.

Owning no property, I consider whether I should just save as much as possible and buy a house/flat outright with no mortgage, or whether I should really be using my Limited Co to contribute a significant (£2k per month or more) contribution to an existing personal pension I have open.

My outgoings are less then a grand a month, whilst statistically pulling in >£6k a month in.

I'm going to pay off my £8k student loan within the next month, but am very confused as to how to now save money I have coming in. If you were my age again, or are roughly my age, what would/do you do?

Single, reasonable car, flexibly working away from home at the minute.

Thanks for any input!
    In possession of faculties. Almost.

Originally posted by dundeedude View Post
    If you were my age again, or are roughly my age, what would/do you do?
    Spunk it all on booze and holidays. That's what I did last time and it worked out quite well.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Coke and prostitutes.... the clap is a bit of a bitch to shift but by god times were good... spare some change?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Spunk it all on booze and holidays. That's what I did last time and it worked out quite well.
        They can't take memories away. Not yet anyway.

Comment

Buy a house. Everyone needs somewhere to live.
          You don't have to save up the full amount you know.
          Buy in the next three years before things start to get moving.

In this order...
          Save the money in an ISA for a property.

Spread the money about and save in different accounts.
          several banks pays £5 per month for if you have more than £1,000 per month going in. Other banks pay you for opening a new account.

Put some money into Zopa and lend it out - not too much mind because one day it will go pop.

Start a pension
          A pension is a rip off but you have to live on something when your past working.
          £800 per month, rising by 10% every year up up to about 6-7K per month to a max pot of 1.3 Million which will provide you with about £15,000 per year indexed linked when you are 67

Yes a rip off but what else do you live on.

Waste some cash on a new PC or whatever you like.
          Buy a lottery ticket.

Buy a rental property

Good luck

Comment

Gold coins, a dozen every year.

Comment

I'd go down the property route, you dont need to buy it outright just get a lump saved up, put in 15-20% deposit and keep the war chest there to give enough for 6 months living expenses. After the 2 year mortgage runs its course you can overpay as much as you like. My 20 year mortgage is looking to be complete in 5, then even if you're benched for a long time you have so little outgoings you won't need to worry. Property can then become part of/all of your pension pot, hopefully repeat a few times and get 3 or 4 by the time you call it a day.

Without the employer contributions into a pension I don't see them as very attractive.

Why are you paying your student loan off? Its interest free and not penalised by lending companies, use that money towards your deposit/war chest. £9k could keep you going for a year.

Comment

Clear any debt before looking at investments.
                Last edited by SimonMac; 6 July 2012, 09:00.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I look at what I saved into my pension in the good times and what it will buy now. What a waste!

Clearly having a house to live in is a good idea - but I am not convinced property for investment is a good deal.

I reckon you ought to Squander it. Take as many holidays as you can. Don't do anything silly!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Coke and prostitutes.... the clap is a bit of a bitch to shift but by god times were good... spare some change?
                    I bet the whores are more trustworthy than the banks too.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X