• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Appealing an insurance pay-out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appealing an insurance pay-out.

Recently sent in all the paperwork re our claim after the burglary.

Total value of claim was somewhere near £7.5k.

There are some things I don't expect to get paid out on, but is there anyway to appeal if I consider the offer too low.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Independent loss adjuster ?

Insurance Ombudsman ?

Sending them a whiny letter ?

BTW, I'll be interested to see if they pull the "oh it seems you were underinsured" ploy on you.

Comment

Yes, the Financial Ombudsman Service, but expect it to literally take years. No names or pack drill > cough, Arnold Clark, cough <, but I got messed around by one insurance company for a poxy £80, 18 months or so back. FOS finally found in my favour, insurance co appealed (a smart move on their part, since I was in the market for a new car at the time, and I'd bought my previous two from their new car sales division). It's still not sorted out yet, and the FOS keep writing to me to say that they're still processing it, and I could really take it to court at my own expense if I wanted to, etc. There'd be no point in my doing so, as I've long since got my money back via Visa Chargeback, and the onus is now on dear Old Arnold to take me to court if he thinks he's got a case.

PS: You'll need to complain to your insurance co in the first instance, then wait 8 weeks before you can begin the wait for FOS to process your claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

There are some things I don't expect to get paid out on, but is there anyway to appeal if I consider the offer too low.
        Imsarance companies are registered with the FSA so your first port of call in a dispute, onice you have made the first appoach to your insurance comapny and it's been refused, is the Financial Ombudsman.

They can give you free advice and will mediate between you and the Insurance company without you having to enage solicitor or pay for their services.

Thats as long as you didn't go for the Nude Lady policy.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

In 1994 I totalled a car I had paid £22k for 3 months earlier. I got offered £11k, then £12.5k, then £14k. I was told that was the limit. I then got solicitor involved who got it up to £17.5k in a month. £350 well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

Sue them
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Yes, the Financial Ombudsman Service, but expect it to literally take years.
              My claim was sorted in only a few months.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The letter they sent will probably indicate that by accepting the offer, you are accepting "full and final settlement" write back to them and say you will take the offer as an interim payment. Then you have a number of avenues including financial ombudsman, solicitors, but i normally find persistance is better.

I worked for a leading presonal-lines insurer developing a new claims system, the claims staff are incentivised to payout as little as possible, but are told to buckle if legal action is likely.

Comment

Working...
                X