• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC cockups- are they for real?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC cockups- are they for real?

Now that I am setting my affairs in order for my semi-retirement, I've started a shell company for occasional consultancy assignments when I feel bored (although this is very much optional - I'm hoping not to get sucked in to work too much ever again).
    Anyway get two letters from HMRC - one says you've underpaid us Income tax last year, please pay us X. The 2nd letter says Congratulations, you've over paid tax last year, here's a cheque for 2X. FFS
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Now that I am setting my affairs in order for my semi-retirement, I've started a shell company for occasional consultancy assignments when I feel bored (although this is very much optional - I'm hoping not to get sucked in to work too much ever again).
    Anyway get two letters from HMRC - one says you've underpaid us Income tax last year, please pay us X. The 2nd letter says Congratulations, you've over paid tax last year, here's a cheque for 2X. FFS
    The first letter is for you, and the second for your CUK sockie

HTH
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Is it any wonder the government is cutting their numbers
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Is this consultancy for your work on eco sheds?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Is this consultancy for your work on eco sheds?
          Sadly I don't have my eco shed anymore. However I will be building a new and improved one shortly: this will include bar, pool table, table football, guest accomodation/office/gym space with an integral bathroom
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sadly I don't have my eco shed anymore. However I will be building a new and improved one shortly: this will include bar, pool table, table football, guest accomodation/office/gym space with an integral bathroom
            That must be handy for the once a year that andyw comes to stay.

Comment

I was doing my P11D last minute this morning and was not sure if my sister's subscription to The Society of Authors, which she needs for genuine business reasons, was subject to Class 1 NICs and checked this guidance: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/cwg5.pdf

Found a typically fantastic HMRC flowchart that explained it all:

bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just got off the phone with HRMC it'll take 4 weeks for them to process my P85, how's that for effiency I sent it a week ago
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  That must be handy for the once a year that andyw comes to stay.
                  Perhaps I should start a Humour consultancy for the hard-of-humour and/or laboured of humour, like yourself.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Perhaps I should start a Humour consultancy for the hard-of-humour and/or laboured of humour, like yourself.
                    I would discourage you from starting anything - anything.

Just stop any activity you are doing at the moment and don't start anything new.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X