• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you you crash a plane?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you you crash a plane?

Flying home last night I was asked to switch my kindle off during takeoff.

I'm not sure it even has an 'off', but I obediently stuck it back in my bag.

Exactly why are we supposed to switch off all electronic devices? If it was that easy to crash a plane, surely all Bill Terrorist would have to do is to leave his mobile phone on? And what about digital watches? Why are they not banned too?

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Exactly why are we supposed to switch off all electronic devices?
    There's absolutley no good reason for doing so on any aircraft. Paranoia.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

They've started to allow mobile phones in some hospitals now. Maybe airlines will get there eventually. Kindles seems to be taking things to the extreme though.

Comment

It's stupidity. Phones 'may' interfere with the radio / comms on the plane with famous pips but I doubt that even happens much.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          It's stupidity. Phones 'may' interfere with the radio / comms on the plane with famous pips but I doubt that even happens much.
          This ^

However -

For some reason in the past someone made the decision that aircraft manufacturers do not have to shield their equipement. This was fine when laptops were the size off singer sewing machines and no one carried portable devices. However with the proliferation of all sorts of mobile stuff there is no way to ensure that the legacy stuff is protected. So to ensure safety they ask consumers to switch off their "digital teddy bears" and sit quiet while daddy lands the plane. There are reports out in the public domain of pilots getting all sorts of interference over Heathrow and other major airports.

Edit! Removed link (should have read the entire article! FAIL)
          Last edited by bobspud; 7 July 2012, 07:22.

Comment

The one that always got me was I can use my laptop, but not its CD Drive!

But then again if you are 35,000ft in the area might interfere is still a big risk
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

They still have those switch off mobile phones signs at petrol stations, but when has a mobile phone ever caused a fire at a petrol station? I very much doubt it's ever happened.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                They still have those switch off mobile phones signs at petrol stations, but when has a mobile phone ever caused a fire at a petrol station? I very much doubt it's ever happened.
                That one I know, its not the radio signals from phones, its the old type batteries that if dropped and leak can ignite the petrol vapour

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  That one I know, its not the radio signals from phones, its the old type batteries that if dropped and leak can ignite the petrol vapour
                  It's an urban myth. Proof or it's never happened.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    It's an urban myth. Prove or it's never happened.

Comment

Working...
                    X