• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To rent a room or to rent a house...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To rent a room or to rent a house...

Guys a newbie here and I have done a serious amount of homework on the subject..and all is good. And this forum has helped a lot so thank you for that.

my question is obviously up to me but i wanted to ask what others are doing, especially as i can offset the rental as an expense.

basically i can take home more a month if i pay more for a rented Apartment or house as i can expense it say 1200 per month for a house

and a double room ( so i travel home at weekends ) is 700 per month

now i take home less after tax if i just take the room so I was going to rent my house and rent an apartment or house and take home more - other wise the tax man gets it..

now to me its a no brainer but i am paying more and taking home more.... something doesn't add up!

its a year contract.

what are others doing?

I can't follow your logic.

If this is your main residence you can't expense it.

Comment

If you're spending it then it's not 'take home' is it? You will pay tax on PROFIT but not EXPENSES. Plus, like PL said, if you have a house and don't 'go home' then it's your main residence and you can't expense it at all.

Personally I rent a room, having just lucked out where the other tenant works away Mon-Fri so I have the place to myself.

Comment

Sorry for being a newbie - i realise its not take home as such if you spend it but its available to spend without being taxed. And for a few hundred more you get your own place.

And i agree with the residence rule however my accountant says i can expense as i will still own my own home and not pay tax ( as long as i don't make a profit after agency fees )

they said that the HMRC don't see the point in a house sitting there empty so as long as no profit is made you can expense the rental..

just going on what i have been told and by a highly recommended acountancy firm on here...

is this not the case?

Comment

Your company is either paying £700 for the room or £1200 for the house. That's the main financial consideration.

However, if you take the house instead of the room, you effectively save 20% corporation tax on the £500 difference, so £100 less per month corporation tax bill because of your higher expense. The house is still a net cost to you and your co of £400 extra per month though.

If the property is wholly and exclusively for your business purposes then it's expense-able. If you are staying there at weekends and using it for other purposes not associated with carrying out the business, then it is not expense-able, regardless of how many houses you own elsewhere.

Comment

Yes it will all come in time..

I will check again with my accountant but i was told i could do this. I would rather not be way 5 days a week as it is a year contract. I could make the rented property my business address then its solely for business purposes or is that ill advised.

Comment

Originally posted by gsis View Post
              Yes it will all come in time..

I will check again with my accountant but i was told i could do this. I would rather not be way 5 days a week as it is a year contract. I could make the rented property my business address then its solely for business purposes or is that ill advised.
              Wrong.

Comment

Are you any good at bleeding radiators?

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post

Personally I rent a room, having just lucked out where the other tenant works away Mon-Fri so I have the place to myself.
                  There are quite a few people around who do that or are night workers so you never see them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X