• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solution to pension crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution to pension crisis

Pensioners to be insured against stock market falls

"Workers will be able to protect their pensions by insuring savings against stock market falls under plans being drawn up by ministers.

Steve Webb, the pensions minister, said he wanted to give people “certainty” that they would get a guaranteed income when they retired.

Millions of savers have seen the value of their workplace pensions fall because of stock market turmoil and the Bank of England’s policy of printing money to stimulate the economy.

Ministers fear that unless they can guarantee that pensioners’ money is safe, they will be deterred from saving. The average Briton saves almost £300 a month in a workplace pension, comprising both personal and employer contributions as well as tax relief from the Government.

Experts propose that workers pay a levy on contributions of 0.75 per cent, about £30 a year on average.

The policy, provided by private insurance companies, would guarantee savers that their pension pot on retirement is worth at least the combined value of their contributions, their employers’ contributions and the tax relief they have received over their working lives. "

Source: Pensioners to be insured against stock market falls - Telegraph

Who voted for these cretins?

Oh wait I did

So there you have it - a guarantee that stock market falls won't affect you for £30 a year on average.

If it was really true then the Govt itself could have bought this insurance for £1 bln pear year covering 30 mln people

If pensioners want certainty then invest in bonds or property.

Comment

And these pensions are going to be hedged where? The derivatives market?
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Is this the final solution?

Comment

UKIP

Comment

I have an idea, why don't we give it a name?

Its going to be across the country,
            Its going to insure people's benefits are paid
            Everyone working will be forced to contribute.

How about :

National Insurance Contributions.

oh darn its already been used.

Muppets. If the people running the pension schemes can't make it pay as much as was put in with tax free contributions, long period invested and guaranteed payments they should lose their licence.

Fix the problem not the symptom.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Fix the problem not the symptom.
              Their problem is that people live longer and inflation gets higher

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Their problem is that people live longer
                How are we going to fix that?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  How are we going to fix that?
                  NHS

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    NHS

I think this is part of the "problem". If you are not badly hurt the NHS will prioritize your issue.

If you are badly hurt you will be keep alive at any expense.

And I don't believe a word of this Hospitals 'letting patients die to save money’ - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                    X