• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BCS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BCS

Anyone a member?
    Any of those members found any real benefit from joining?
    I'm considering it but not sure if the £106 is worth it...could buy 16 bottles of the wife's favourite wine for that
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

about sums up what I was thinking.
    Thanks ZG
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

If you are going down the BCS (or CIIT as it is now called) it will only be worth while if you go full throttle and get Chartered, there is very good reasoning that with all the Govt IT Projects going tits up they will start to insist on Chartered people as much as possible
      Last edited by SimonMac; 9 July 2012, 08:35.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
        Anyone a member?
        Any of those members found any real benefit from joining?
        I'm considering it but not sure if the £106 is worth it...could buy 16 bottles of the wife's favourite wine for that
        I was a member yonks ago but nobody I ever worked for was interested in it. I left because the BCS hierarchy were so far up their own arses.

I did the exams though, they were worthwhile as long as you don't try to be cutting edge with answers.

All that might have changed in the past few years, but I'd be surprised.

Comment

I do not think that being a member of the BCS is helpful in getting business. It gives off the impression that someone is interested in computing for computing's sake, rather than IT being a tool for business.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Being a member of the BCS might impress someone that doesn't know anything about computing. Which may be exactly the effect you intend and require. It's like being a member of Mensa; not as hard as those who've never been members might think, and all you get from joining is a yearbook and constant marketing blurb to encourage you to buy evermore expensive levels of membership ("member for life", etc) for very little meaningful return.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I was a member yonks ago but nobody I ever worked for was interested in it. I left because the BCS hierarchy were so far up their own arses.

I did the exams though, they were worthwhile as long as you don't try to be cutting edge with answers.

All that might have changed in the past few years, but I'd be surprised.
              In my second job in IT, management said they'd pay the costs for me to do the exams, but quite frankly at that stage in my career I was laready putting in lots of hours and thought that experience knocking out successful projects would count for more.

Plus I was already working with minis and the subject material at that time seemed to be all mainframe stuff. I'd never touched COBOL back then, for example.

Then a decade later I came across a bunch of BCS types.

Plummy accents, dickie bow ties and double barrelled names.

Glad I hadn't bothered.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I am not sure about the "plummy" stuff but I tend to regard them in the same light as members of the real ale society or classic car clubs.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
                  Don't think I'll bother. SOunds like I'd get more use and pleasure out of the wine

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies.
                    Don't think I'll bother. SOunds like I'd get more use and pleasure out of the wine
                    Another victory for Cuk "bottle half empty"

Comment

Working...
                    X