• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worse off running a VAT registered Ltd Co than using an umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worse off running a VAT registered Ltd Co than using an umbrella?

This is my first post and this sounds like a stupid question to me but it's one I need answering!

My first contract was through an umbrella company. I never got less than 63% of the day rate with nothing else then to pay out.
    I looked at the limited company or umbrella comparisons and decided to go with the limited company and register for the flat rate scheme in the belief I would be better off.
    It appears I'm paying 20% of my sales invoices to VAT for HMRC before I pay corporation tax at 20%, employers NI/Paye, accountants fees, insurance.

On the Contractor UK website it says:

In terms of your ability to maximise your income, forming a limited company is the most attractive option, allowing you typically to take home over 80% of what you earn; this compares favourably with umbrella services where you will expect to take home approximately 65% of your earnings.

Am I missing something really obvious here that I should/should not be doing?

Yes, the VAT is not your money - you neither gain or lose that amount, it merely flows through your company.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You charge an extra 20% VAT, then pass on less than that to HMRC via the flat rate VAT scheme. So you have more income in the first place compared to being brolly
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        You charge an extra 20% VAT, then pass on less than that to HMRC via the flat rate VAT scheme. So you have more income in the first place compared to being brolly
        Yep - your rate plus VAT, NOT including VAT.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

It is always more tax efficient to operate through a limited company, rather than an umbrella company, the reasons for this include:

1. Ability to save from the VAT Flat Rate Scheme, typical annual saving are £1,800
          2. Lower administration fees, typical annual savings are £360 but can be over £1,000
          3. Expenses prohibited by umbrella’s such as mobile phone and internet can be claimed.
          4. Agencies using Preferred Supplier Lists (PSL) can restrict your ability to claim travel expenses, if the agency effectively forces you to change umbrella each time you start a new contract. (the role is permanent and as such temporary travel costs cannot be claimed!).

The savings are reduced if the contract is caught by IR35 but the savings are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Yes, the VAT is not your money - you neither gain or lose that amount, it merely flows through your company.
            If you are on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme, your co does get to keep a small amount of the VAT amount each quarter.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Back in 2010 I compared working via Parasol with my own company via Crunch. I needed to work only 63 days for running the company to be entirely free due to profit from flat rate VAT scheme.

The breakeven between using Parasol and having my own company was about 45 working days, assuming a 5-day week. (Parasol charge per period that you invoice, so for example a 3 day week that accumulated to 45 days would be more.) i.e. Parasol was cheaper if you were going work less than about nine weeks, own company if you were going to work for longer.
              Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 9 July 2012, 14:26.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                If you are on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme, your co does get to keep a small amount of the VAT amount each quarter.
                Ah yes, quite right. I forgot about FRS.

Comment

Doesn't the benefit of the FRS disappear after the first 12 months?
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Doesn't the benefit of the FRS disappear after the first 12 months?
                    The 1% discount for the first year on flat rate stops but there will still be a profit made each year.
                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/sallyfletcher

Comment

Working...
                    X