• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got more than two nationalities?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got more than two nationalities?

I have British and Australian citizenship and i'm considering a third because I am entitled (through ancestry) and I want to buy property in this location- there are tax benefits of being a national.

Britain and Australia only allow dual nationality.

Can they somehow block my successful application for the third nationality?

I'm wondering how they could possibly find out if I obtained the third nationality, and would I be in a spot of bother if they did?

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I have British and Australian citizenship and i'm considering a third because I am entitled (through ancestry) and I want to buy property in this location.

Britain and Australia only allow dual nationality.

Can they somehow block my successful application for the third nationality?

I'm wondering how they could possibly find out if I obtained the third nationality, and would I be in a spot of bother if they did?
    I didn't know that Britain restricts this at all.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I actually looked into this myself, i am considering a move to australia, and applying for dual nationality. But i also want to apply for northern cypriot citizenship (as am 1/4 cypriot) as it will allow me to buy larger plots of land than a british national (restricted to 1 dodrum). I thought i may have issues if i was already dual nationality (biritsh and oz) but northern cypriot residency is not recognised by most countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I didn't know that Britain restricts this at all.
        You're absolutely right. I've just double checked my facts and I was wrong about Britain/Australia restricting it to dual nationality. You can in fact have multiple nationalities in those places and the third country i'm looking at.

Great, thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
          I actually looked into this myself, i am considering a move to australia, and applying for dual nationality. But i also want to apply for northern cypriot citizenship (as am 1/4 cypriot) as it will allow me to buy larger plots of land than a british national (restricted to 1 dodrum). I thought i may have issues if i was already dual nationality (biritsh and oz) but northern cypriot residency is not recognised by most countries.
          If you are only considering the move to Oz now, you won't be able to get Oz citizenship for at least another 4 years. They changed the rules a few years ago. You used to have to only need 2 years as a permanent resident in Oz to get a passport. Now, you have to be there for 4 years (accrued over multiple visa types if you like) to be able to apply.

I just found out Britain / Australia won't stop you getting triple nationality. But of course your third country must also allow it, so you should check what Cyprus (or is Northern Cyprus part of Turkey) allow.

Comment

I can reccommend Serbia - they have some decent tennis players and I bet their cricketers could give England a better game than the aussies can
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I can reccommend Serbia - they have some decent tennis players and I bet their cricketers could give England a better game than the aussies can
              Now now, let's not gloat yet; GB still have to smash the Aussies in the Olympics.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
              X