• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At the last minute of the last hour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the last minute of the last hour

Hi, I have accepted a contract which starts in a few weeks although I have not started working in the contract, however I have just received a better permanent job offer which I intend to take.

Any tips, or advice, it's an unusual situation (for me), although I expect that this happens quite a lot ?

The contract although good, is not what I want but I have signed for it.

Am I tied down into the contract, and have to give notice period, or can I just tell the recruiter, that I have turned down the contract.

Originally posted by piriton View Post
    Hi, I have accepted a contract which starts in a few weeks although I have not started working in the contract, however I have just received a better permanent job offer which I intend to take.

Any tips, or advice, it's an unusual situation (for me), although I expect that this happens quite a lot ?

Am I tied down into the contract, and have to give notice period, or can I just tell the recruiter, that I have turned down the contract.
    What's 'better' about the permie job?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Whatever you do you should advise them as soon as possible just out of professional courtesy.

You can either just tell them you don't intend to honour the contract and give your notice but tell them you will be unavailable to work notice. They will kick a right stink up and threaten you with legal action possibly but nothing will come of it.

You could find a substitute to do the gig for you but you most likely just get binned as you won't be able to find one in time and the agent can offer it to one of the other candidates. Again a tulip storm will start which you will just have to see through but nothing serious will come of it.

You are better binning if before starting rather than turning up a few days and then doing it IMO.

Personally I think signing for gigs you don't want to do is a pretty poor carry on but others will say only number one counts so do what you have to.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        WNLS. Though I would hand in notice and offer to turn up. They will never accept. And if they do you could go sick.....

Comment

starts in a few weeks?

Hmm well then they have a reasonable amount of time to fix it. If it were Monday am it might be tricky.

Get on the blower to the agent, cancel and apologise explain how the permie job is better for your family, career etc.

Ring the end customer and tell them the same THIS particular permie job is what you always wanted, hope you haven't caused them distress etc, sorry. (You might need them sometime and its only polite). Such a pity you can't work with them you have been really looking forward to it but this permie job was your dream etc.

If you get the customer on side the agent is less likely to mess you about (he can 'say' the customer wants damages, you can reply when I talked to them they were fine.)

Find a few people who can do it instead. Don't offer to pay for anything, if you turned up and there was no job its highly unlikely the agent would offer to pay you.

Have they signed their copy of the contract and sent to you? It is two way street.

They have time to sort it unless you are Steven Hawking or Red Adair then there should be someone readily available and willing to do the contract instead.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

That's what notice is there for - trust me I know

Comment

If you've not started and are going permie I wouldn't worry about it, just ring the agent and tell them you won't be taking the contract, nothing else needs to be said
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I don't see the issue, tell the Agent you changed your mind and have a better offer. Clients do that all the time to contractors before they start.

Comment

Originally posted by piriton View Post

It serves the agent right for taking on a newbie contractor.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It happens both ways...do you think that the end company would have any quarms if they decided that they didn't actually need you. Nope, notice would be served and you would be left without a contract or the permie role.

Do what you need to do that is best for you, but as said before, be quick with it and polite.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X