• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solving the IR35 and AWR complexities. And a new business model to wit.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solving the IR35 and AWR complexities. And a new business model to wit.

A proposed solution for temporary worker law for purposes of employment and tax law. And the much desired new business model for genuine self-employed.

'If the worker is paid directly or indirectly by a recruitment agency, then the worker is classed as a temporary employee for both tax and employment law regulations.'

And that's it. Simple, much easier to understand, identify, police and enforce.

An IT contracting killer - or the emergence of a new business model without the weight of employment and tax law upon its shoulders ?

Genuine self-employed people find their own clients. And clients genuinely requiring self-employed expertise can still do so. They just mustn't pay a recruitment company.

For the temporary worker, they have proper employment protection whether it be from the agency or the hirer. The end client can still easily acquire temporary staff - if that is what they really require.

For the agent - no problem either. There are still plenty of hirers and temporary workers happy to accept the non-self employed status.

For genuine self-employed (the clue is in the title) and clients requiring their expertise - they find each other in exactly the same fashion any client and provider currently find each other in the marketplace. Provided there is no recruitment agent in the financial chain, neither client nor self employed have any fear of employment status for purposes of either employment or tax law.

Ultimately, it is infinitely easier to identify the presence of a recruiter than it is the actual working relationship between client and worker; let alone the other emerging complexities.

Clients requiring external expertise, and the self-employed able to provide it ... it is a nonsense to suggest that neither has the intellect to find each other. Or to put it another way, both are too feckless to find each other.

A much desired new business model for the genuine self-employed would surely emerge. Or not ... what do you think ?

Are you sure you want this in General??
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate View Post

Clients requiring external expertise, and the self-employed able to provide it ... it is a nonsense to suggest that neither has the intellect to find each other. Or to put it another way, both are too feckless to find each other.
      I had the suggestion of going direct in my current contract, but the client admitted that they couldn't be arsed with it and that I might not get paid as regularly as I would with an agency in the middle.

In the the end the client pointed me to their tame agency and told them to get on with it.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Under the proposal, that client would then be classed your bona-fide employer for both employment and tax law.

That might change their can't be arsed attitude.

Comment

I don't think it will.

Comment

In which case they will get what they want then - a temporary employee with the protections and regulations applied for a temporary employee.

Comment

Never gonna happen for the reason already stated, agencies exist because employers either cannot be arsed or they do not have their own HR to sift through the applicants, and they do not have the expertise to assess who has the skill (not that an agency does either but??)

Comment

most companies will not be bothered with this - they do not really give two hoots where the body comes from as long as it can do the job.

They most certainly will have no interest in the potential financial impact of the arangement on said body.

In addition this would potentially leave the employer open to claims for employment rights if they ended up with some muppet who wanted to be a muppet about it.

in an ideal world yes but we do not live in one.

Comment

There is no incentive for the end client though, they use agents to make their life easier end off
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Is it true that most clients do not mind being classed as the temp's employer ?

Comment

Working...
                    X