• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consent to Let on C&G mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consent to Let on C&G mortgage

I contacted C&G recently to ask how I go about getting a consent-to-let on my house in Devon, as we don't use it much now that my kids are growing up, and would be better used as a rental.

They wouldn't give it, period. They only offered for me to apply for Buy-To-Let mortgage at 5-6+%. mad

Push comes to shove think we can pay it off in cash or transfer of capital from our Santander Felxible mortgage within 2.5 years.

Used to be so easy, consent-to-let, certainly sir, £80 please. Job done.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

They probably realised you would be making mroe money from them then they would from you
    Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Try another lender?

Of course those thieving scumbag bankers have to make their money somehow....

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        Base rates weren't 0.5% though?

Banks most certainly under pressure to keep lending rates down for house holders, but they are most likely not for BTLs.

It's like railways now - offpeak tickets regulated and actually priced ok-ish (but with ever increasing "peak window"), yet those who have to go for peak time service get totally raped: I had 2 trains from London to Amsterdam doing easily 5 times distance for same price as ticket to London

Comment

Don't tell them and hope the tenant doesnt burn your house down.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I would read the original T's and C's and see what it says about granting consent for letting. Or just rent it out and make sure you insure it as a BTL. Not sure how G & G would ever know ?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Try another lender?

Of course those thieving scumbag bankers have to make their money somehow....
              You're still not going to get anything like the rate he's on now.

We were pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get permission, we also did this after rates dropped to .5% so we feared the worst but they just said "give us £200 a year and it's fine".
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
                I would read the original T's and C's and see what it says about granting consent for letting. Or just rent it out and make sure you insure it as a BTL. Not sure how G & G would ever know ?
                A mortgage may entail restrictions on the use or disposal of the property. If one of the restrictions is renting, you are breaking the mortgage contract if you rent.

The reasons behind it may be that tenants can become "sitting-tenants" and reduce the value of the property to less than the value of the mortgage.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
                  Let's hope OP never has to make a claim and the insurance company deem cover to be invalid because a "proper" BTL mortgage isn't in place
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    I contacted C&G recently to ask how I go about getting a consent-to-let on my house in Devon, as we don't use it much now that my kids are growing up, and would be better used as a rental.

They wouldn't give it, period. They only offered for me to apply for Buy-To-Let mortgage at 5-6+%. mad

Push comes to shove think we can pay it off in cash or transfer of capital from our Santander Felxible mortgage within 2.5 years.

Their standard variable rate is currently 2.5% so they will want you off that and onto a BTL product asap. 6% is very strong though. Depending on how much the property is worth, the mortgage outstanding and the rental income is, there are much cheaper options out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X