• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are the royal family worth 61p a yr?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the royal family worth 61p a yr?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4119194.stm

The Royal Family cost Britons £36.7m last year, equivalent to 61p per taxpayer, new figures show.
    Buckingham Palace said the figure, which excludes security costs, was at it lowest since 2001 and had fallen 2.3% in real terms since 2003-4.

Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the royals gave "value for money".

So, are they worth it?

Tell you what, I'll round my contribution up to a quid and they can buy something nice with the change.

Comment

Yes, provided of course we only have to give the 61p between us. Otherwise NO, they are an expensive and outdated quirky anachronism.

Comment

Prince harry hash doesn't come cheap. I'm more than happy to give me tax towards them. Glad i pay the TV license so i can watch the queens speech at christmas. (just before wallace and gromit normally)

Comment

Yes. I think the entertainment they provide is well worth 61p. Just one of Phil's one liners is worth that on it's own.

Comment

I'm outraged, I thought I was paying 59p the bloody barstewards!

Comment

The answer to the question is simple.

If you're a republican - NO. they are not worth 61p a year. If you're a republican they're not worth even 1p a year.

If you want a monarchy - YES they are definitely worth 61p a year, probably 100p a year.

Comment

So, are they worth it?
                No, they don't even do 'It's a royal knockout' anymore.

Now Monaco had a good royal family, and has produced some fair totty over the years. There was a point during the late 80s/early 90s when Princess Stephanie had her charlies out every week. Can't see Princess Anne having the same appeal :x

Comment

I wonder how much a President would cost us?

I'll support the Royals for now, but I'd be happier if I could choose how my 61p was spent.

I want mine to go on buying Turkey Twizzlers for the Queen.

Comment

Look at it this way - how much do our MPs cost, and do they give value for money?

The number of official government residences has shot up - Blair's sacked ministers are now allowed to keep theirs.

Comment

Working...
                    X