• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Show me your money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show me your money

Interesting program on TV tonight at 10 can't remember which channel called "Show me your money" in which all the employees of some company reveal how much they each earn to the other members of staff.

From the trailer it looked like there were some naffed off people, 2 people doing the same job for wildly differing wages.

Looked fun.

Edit : Just checked and its on Channel 4.

Posted elsewhere but thought worthy of General too.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

I always wondered why people go on some of these stupid shows that just make them look ridiculous but I just assumed it took all sorts/good wad of money/15 mins of fame but why the hell would a firm and/or its employee's sign up for something like this. I can't imagine the money they pay would cover the long term fall out from this and that an entire company are too stupid to see the problems this will cause.

Beggars belief sometimes.

EDIT:Will be watching it if I can though lol
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The owner is a bit of a celeb in business circles.

Charlie Mullins

Pimlico Plumbers do charge an absolute fortune, we had a quote when having our bathroom done, more than double the quote we used.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Interesting idea from the owner.

The drain bloke on £150k was the tightest person of the lot.

Nepotism, with his son on £120k to watch the call centre, WTF.

$12 a month to satisfy the call centre people, the engineers wouldn't even go for that.

Savings in the garage was a better solution as it didn't effect anyone's pay packet in a negatvie way.

Poor canteen lady, 4 hour commute and took home 260 pw for a 9 hour day, barely any spare cash once bills and food paid for.

And Charlie Mullins could so easile afford a few k to make it smiles all round.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I always wondered why people go on some of these stupid shows that just make them look ridiculous but I just assumed it took all sorts/good wad of money/15 mins of fame but why the hell would a firm and/or its employee's sign up for something like this. I can't imagine the money they pay would cover the long term fall out from this and that an entire company are too stupid to see the problems this will cause.

Beggars belief sometimes.

EDIT:Will be watching it if I can though lol
          It was the complete opposite as they all agreed to adjust their wages, the boss was pleased with the outcome and wouldn't even notice the little extra he has to shell out.

Interesting that one of the bosses on 56k wanted a 25k rise and couldn't see why the lady in the kitchen deserved more until she explained how she barely survives, he seemed to have an epiphany moment and agreed to a cut in the end.

Not sure how much was dramatised though.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

How come no one went to big time charlie and ask him to forgo some of his £1mil salary.

Comment

Once an agent revealed how much he was being paid to recruit a new team member - back in the days of 94 when rates went up every week. I was losing out on £5/hour! Next week I was in Jersey with the boss. At one of the top hotels having dinner. I told him I was off at end of contract in a month - and would not renew even for the higher rate. Of course he accepted straight away and I pretended to look cheesed off.

There was an idiot on the team who was on the lower rate. So I told him - in the expectation he would ask for higher rate and get sacked. The boss asked how he knew the rate - and he gave my name! Then the boss did not sack him! grrrrrr

As an aside, the idiot setup a company in 99 with some others. They got bought out last year and the idiot is worth a fortune. Makes me ask who is the real idiot.

Comment

I would expect this to cause grief in most companies. I remember at first perm co, I came across a file which contained the names and salary of everyone at head office, right at the bottom was me....
                I had just had a hefty rise and thought I was doing ok !!
                Didn't bother me as I was just out of uni anyway and paid about right at the time but would have caused mayhem if publicised...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  How come no one went to big time charlie and ask him to forgo some of his £1mil salary.
                  because he said no right at the start.

surprised he had the balls to do it considering what they were paying the canteen lady.

£120k for a plumber, ffs they are overcharging.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    because he said no right at the start.

surprised he had the balls to do it considering what they were paying the canteen lady.

£120k for a plumber, ffs they are overcharging.
                    I was more shocked at the 120K for standing looking at people answer phones !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X