• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I look that thick? Bobs getting my job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I look that thick? Bobs getting my job

Client co has recently outsourced a large number of permie roles in a neighbouring department to Bob, things are not going well and yet they continue to oursource more and more despite things going t!ts up quite frequently.

My current role is quite good in that it was short term replacement of the sys admin due to illness which has been extended from 3 months to a year. Easy work, good pay, work from home every other week.

Manager has just come to me and asked:

Mgr: Chef, I have been looking in the system and I cannot find a user guide/manual for your day to day tasks, just in case of worst case scenario and you are hit by a bus then we would not have any idea of how to explain to your replacement how to do your role. I wonder if you could write me a document explaining at a fairly technical level what you do?

Chef: Ok, so when is my role being outsourced to Bob?

Mgr: Oh no no no that isnt going to happen (says he in a quiet tone looking nervously at those around who obviously aren't listening to what he's saying given that it directly involves there work, no really they aren't)

Chef: And when do you want this document by?

Mgr: Oh no great rush at all what you are doing know is highly important, not that anything is likely to happen at all but I believe they (the unseen them who run things I guess he means??) want the new procedures in place by mid October and so could you have the document ready by end of August?

Chef: Not a problem, atleast I know that I can book a holiday after my contract finishes end of Sept.

Mgr: oh well, you never know, you might be extended, as I say it's really only for documentation purposes, no changes are being planned as yet.

yeah right, I do believe you, honest.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

CBA to read all that but the answer is "yes"

HTH

Comment

Its a safe bet, or they are planning on the permie you replaced not coming back from illness with another permie as why keep paying a contractor for a noddy sys adm job. Either way polish your CV and be grateful for the invoices you have already managed to submit.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Mod! Christ, change 'job' in the title to 'contract' or something or NLUK will blow a gasket.

Hope it works out. Your options are:

1. Do a great job so they call you back when it goes wrong, or
        2. Do a terrible job so it goes wrong and they call you back.

Comment

Bizarrely, while I was reading that, the tune "There Aint't Nothing Like a Dame" started running through my head - except substituting Bob for Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Bizarrely, while I was reading that, the tune "There Aint't Nothing Like a Dame" started running through my head - except substituting Bob for Dame.
            Ahh! CUK, the musical.

Comment

A role that can be conducted from home/Mumbai and is sufficiently rigid to enable it to be documented in a procedural format for a replacement to follow. Quell surprise it is being outsourced.

Comment

Yes, but what if the unexpected happens? Hard to document and plan for that.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition"

Than where will Bob be? Up the proverbial gum tree I expect.

Whereas Chef would, I'm sure, apply knowledge + insight + common sense + skill to resolve it. Things that Bob won't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Than where will Bob be? Up the proverbial gum tree I expect.
                  Nope, the client will be and that sounds like a risk they are prepared to take given the cost model they are looking to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Nope, the client will be and that sounds like a risk they are prepared to take given the cost model they are looking to follow.
                    Yes, true.

Comment

Working...
                    X