• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training course and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training course and IR35

I have used search but haven't managed to find a reliable answer.

I am currently in my first contract and the project specified on the advert didn't contain loads of detail.
    I am perfectly capable of the backend development work and the contract itself is to deliver a specific project.

Due to resourcing issues at the client end the responsiblity of the front end development work may need to be completed at least partially (and probably > 50% by me)
    The clients preferred method for delivery will be development in house using a rapid development tool I am unfamilar with.

The client may soon request that to meet the deadline one permanent member of staff and myself should go on a course for this development tool.

I was just wondering if this would have an issue in terms of IR35 and if not should I invoice for days worked whilst on the training course?

Searched and couldn't find these two examples that have vitually the same title?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...med-issue.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ning-ir35.html

Nothing wrong with the client giving you training on their tools. You can't be expected to know in house and bespoke tools so is perfectly reasonable to go on it and be outside IR35.

He wants you to go on it... He pays...... no free days for him
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It was only mentioned today and I am not definite if it will happen. It is not in house or a bespoke tool (its a big vendor rapid development tool). I am not sure if its enforced as such. If I am not interested they might just get another contractor in who has used it before or outsource part of the development work (whilst keeping me on).

If I have the option to go on it I would like to as any new knowledge is good knowledge in my book but if its an optional course does this matter for IR35?
      I suppose not going on it will mean my position is under threat by the outsourced part or another contractor and by going on it I will increase the likelihood of a successful delivery of the project that I am contracted to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by ItContractor123 View Post
        I have used search but haven't managed to find a reliable answer.

I am currently in my first contract and the project specified on the advert didn't contain loads of detail.
        I am perfectly capable of the backend development work and the contract itself is to deliver a specific project.

Due to resourcing issues at the client end the responsiblity of the front end development work may need to be completed at least partially (and probably > 50% by me)
        The clients preferred method for delivery will be development in house using a rapid development tool I am unfamilar with.

The client may soon request that to meet the deadline one permanent member of staff and myself should go on a course for this development tool.

I was just wondering if this would have an issue in terms of IR35 and if not should I invoice for days worked whilst on the training course?
        So you can do the backend work, good. But the fact that the client are asking you to help out with frontend work using something you are unfamiliar with says D&C (direction and control) to me.

Of course D&C is just one factor in determining your IR35 status, but the fact that they seem to be treating you like they would a permie doesn't look good.

While working with a previous client of mine, I once got asked if i could do something with Puppet (some application), but i declined saying i know nothing about Puppet so would be unable to provide services relating to it.

You could state something like your professional indemnity insurance wouldn't cover you for this?
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          So you can do the backend work, good. But the fact that the client are asking you to help out with frontend work using something you are unfamiliar with says D&C (direction and control) to me.

Of course D&C is just one factor in determining your IR35 status, but the fact that they seem to be treating you like they would a permie doesn't look good.
          Very good point indeed
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Searched and couldn't find these two examples that have vitually the same title?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...med-issue.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ning-ir35.html

Nothing wrong with the client giving you training on their tools. You can't be expected to know in house and bespoke tools so is perfectly reasonable to go on it and be outside IR35.

He wants you to go on it... He pays...... no free days for him
            He didn't say he didn't find them. He said he had been 'unable to find a reliable answer'.

Thats par for the course on here though. Answers, mostly, from people who make them up
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I am not sure if it will actually happen. The brief discussion I have had was that they might want to do this and I can simply refuse.

However if I think it would be a useful course/skill to gain then what would be the best way in doing this whilst.
              1) Ensuring I don't fall foul of IR35
              2) I don't lose the company money by being on a training course when I should be invoicing/working.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                But the fact that the client are asking you to help out with frontend work using something you are unfamiliar with says D&C (direction and control) to me.

Oh talk about paranoid

they might want to do this and I can simply refuse.
                You could. I wouldn't.

However if I think it would be a useful course/skill to gain then what would be the best way in doing this whilst.
                1) Ensuring I don't fall foul of IR35
                2) I don't lose the company money by being on a training course when I should be invoicing/working.
                You should go. In the extremely unlikely event that HMRC investigates you, in the then even more unlikely event that they talk to the client AND ask about training courses, in the even more unlikely event that the client PM says "I made him go" then I can't deny that it might be a small factor among a whole range of other factors.

I'd probably say something along the lines that client liked the work I had done, so preferred not to hire in an unknown new contractor for the new stuff, didn't have budget for another contractor full time on the team, so I volunteered and client agreed that the project knowledge I had already gained made this the most viable and cost effective route forward. Simple business decision for him and for me.

Comment

Content deleted - posted twice.

Comment

@ kingcook + northern lad

Sounds like a bit of a paranoid scenario to me. Consider the case - I just had a bit of my house rewired. I was really happy with the workmanship and the finish.

I said to the sparky, "You did an awesome job, could you run a bunch of networking cables for me?"
                    "Well I can, but I don't know how to terminate them properly."
                    "Ok here's some instruction on how to do it."

How is that different to what's being described? He's not being forced into the work. It's being offered - at least that's how it reads.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X