• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage Payments - WHat Do Feel Comfortable Paying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Payments - WHat Do Feel Comfortable Paying

Hi All

I am about to take the plunge and buy a house in Wimbeldeon. I have a 25% deposit and am looking to borrow 550K. Halifax have a 3.69% mortgage which means that monthly repayments are 3K a month.

In the grand scheme of things 3k a month is not a lot if you are on 525 a day - The problem is what happens if you lose your contract!! I have some savings left after the mortgage (about one years worth) in the war chest but the question for you intelligent folks are....

What mortgage monthly repayment wiould you start to feel stretched at? Is 3K a month in mortgage payment a lot??

It's not absolute amount that determines affordability you dumbo, but %-tage of money to be spend on mortgage after all other essentials taken care of: tax, food, drinks, wife's shopping at Harrods etc.

Comment

Surely it is up to you what happens when you are not in contract. You obviously have put some time and effort in to planning your outgoings, calculated your warchest and how to manage in that eventuality so wouldn't be hard to factor in the 3K on top. You have done this haven't you? No?..

Why are you buying a 550K plus house when can't make some pretty basic financial decisions?

I would also argue that 525 is not a huge amount unless you have a sizeable wedge behind you. Just to withdraw your morgage from divis is going to put you over the tax threshold so every penny after that is costing you a lot more so it isn't just the 3k you have to take in to account. You suddenly incurr a sizeable tax bill as well.

Can you continue to pay your mortgage, your living expenses AND keep the warchest stocked up after hard times. Only you will know that.

All said and done knowing your posting history this is all probably a load of fanciful bulltulip anyway.....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

you can always go bankrupt if it doesnt work out, wheres the risk ?

Comment

What is the likelyhood that:
          1. house prices reduce by 25%
          2. You lose your contract and are unable to pay your mortgage.

In that situation, you'll lose the house and all of that circa £180K deposit money. Is that a risk worth taking, when you could rent somewhere and invest your deposit money in something that has a reasonable chance of going up in price.

Comment

*Makes mental note to dump Llodys Banking Group shares*
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

21 years ago I had a newish house and was paying a peak of £1300 a month, interest only, in the days when I was only on £200 a day.

Then in that year I was benched a couple of times for a total of three or four months. I didn't like that. It did my warchest in, such as it was.

I concluded that it seems silly to donate such a high proportion of my earnings, plus my savings, to a bank.

Comment

What are the mortgage repayments in 5 or 6 years when it could go up to 5 or 6% just out of interest?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IMHO that seems quite steep.

The wife and I both work and the total outgoings including all bills is around the 2.5k mark.

But then I did manage to persuade the nice man at the Abbey to give me their term loyalty rate of .49% above base, which at the moment is great and prob still not so bad if rates start rising.

Only you can really know what you consider affordable.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    IMHO that seems quite steep.

The wife and I both work and the total outgoings including all bills is around the 2.5k mark.

But then I did manage to persuade the nice man at the Abbey to give me their term loyalty rate of .49% above base, which at the moment is great and prob still not so bad if rates start rising.

Only you can really know what you consider affordable.
                    Much the same here. I'm on a similar rate as the OP but my full monthly outgoings are less than £3k and that includes the wife's pocket money.
                    A £3k mortgage on £525 pd is bonkers. As the Scrag pointed out what happens when the rates rise, fuel increases, you're benched for an extended period?

Unless of course you intend on doing a bunk back to Oz if the tulip hits the fan like a few I have seen in the past

Comment

Working...
                    X