• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car - lease or buy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car - lease or buy?

First off I'm not suggesting leasing through my LTD as I know about all the pain of BIK tax etc., this would be either a personal lease/PCP or cash loan purchase.

Basically got an A3 at the moment which has reached that age where it's starting to cost lots to keep it (just had the cambelt done, now needs 4 new tires and probably the front brakes done). I realise changing cars for financial gain is always a false economy as they're complete money pits whichever way you look at it, but the question is, is it better to lease or buy when I'd probably want to change it again in 3 years anyway?

Pros of leasing as I see it:
    - new vehicle to exact spec.
    - Fixed monthly outlay.
    - Can pocket cash from sale of A3 (about £6k) and use this to partially fund the lease.
    - I think the lease will include servicing and maybe tax too (need to check this).
    - No hassle of selling at the end.

Cons of leasing:
    - Is it throwing money away?
    - No asset at the end.

Pros of buying:
    - Cheaper, would prob get used car (0.5-1 year old) so save on the initial depreciation hit.
    - Get to keep the car for as long as required.
    - Could sell car at any point.

Cons of buying:
    - Sale of A3 cash would all go into purchase (not necessarily a problem)
    - Limited choice from used car market.
    - Servicing costs.

I know on a purely mathematical level buying is normally more 'cost-effective' than leasing otherwise everyone would lease, but I'm looking for opinion here on what others would/have done. Part of the motivation is to reduce overall costs as we're looking at maybe a diesel Audi A1 which is a smaller car: better MPG, cheaper tax and insurance. Ultimately the goal is to replace our other car (also a small vehicle) with a bigger one in the next 9 months or so, so the A1 would become the 'small run-around' mainly used by the missus while I get something big and shiny!

Depends.
    If you have a small willy/low self esteem like DP, sink your hard-earned into a large shiny car to impress the neighbours - lease or buy hardly matters, its all money down the drain.
    If you are sufficient downstairs/have a healthy self-regard, pay £5K for a good medium sized runaround which will last years and stick all the extra cash you save into paying off your mortgage, so you can be genuinely well-off.

HTH, BIDI.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
      First off I'm not suggesting leasing through my LTD as I know about all the pain of BIK tax etc., this would be either a personal lease/PCP or cash loan purchase.
      I lease through my Ltd. Depends what car you choose but i'd say talk it through with your accountant after choosing a car before dismissing the option.

As for the lease or buy question, i'm really happy with the lease. Went for a 2yr duration so get a shiny new motor of my choice every 24 months.

Its fun speccing it too, the amount of kit and options I added to my Audi, i'd never had added if actually buying it as my sensible side would have stopped me.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        I lease through my Ltd. Depends what car you choose but i'd say talk it through with your accountant after choosing a car before dismissing the option.

As for the lease or buy question, i'm really happy with the lease. Went for a 2yr duration so get a shiny new motor of my choice every 24 months.

Its fun speccing it too, the amount of kit and options I added to my Audi, i'd never had added if actually buying it as my sensible side would have stopped me.
        What was the effect on your tax bill and how much per month did you pay? I tend to take the other option of buying something a few years old and running it until the wheels fall off
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Depends.
          If you have a small willy/low self esteem, sink your hard-earned into a Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC.
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Check out this thread which may be of use http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...icalities.html

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              What was the effect on your tax bill and how much per month did you pay? I tend to take the other option of buying something a few years old and running it until the wheels fall off
              Cant quote tax figures unfortunately as the lease didn't fall within the tax bill i've just had but I sat down with the accountant before signing up and she assured me that the motor (A1) could make financial sense. When I originally mentioned leasing through my Ltd, she said, no, no, no but after looking at the particular specs/CO2 etc, it worked out ok.

I've got this purely for business use, I own another car in my name that would be considered my personal transport. Think it makes a difference if you are using your business lease for personal stuff.

So sorry, crap answer, but will be sure to post back once i've got an actual bill. Lease costs me £290/month, could have been lower but i'm a Magpie for kit and gadgets.

Basically from what she went through, its an impossible question to give a yes/no answer to as it involves too many variables so you'd have to choose an actual real lease and send it to your acct.

All my life I've run rubbish old bangers, and was happy to do so but must say it was a buzz to actually have a brand new car of my own.

Comment

Just bought a 12 month old car (Peugeot 5008 so not to many people's tastes, I expect) at 40% below cheapest available new price. Don't get why people buy new.

Will run it into the ground over next 6 to 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Just bought a 12 month old car (Peugeot 5008 so not to many people's tastes, I expect) at 40% below cheapest available new price. Don't get why people buy new.

Those kind of cars do depreciate at such stupid rates. A German/Japanese car would hold onto it's value much better though so leasing a car which depreciates much faster makes more sense than leasing a car which doesn't really depreciate that much. So if you like to drive a new car and want the best deal it might be better than other options. I'd prefer to buy a car and use it for a few years and spend my money where it will be of much more use.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Had one of those as a hire car on hols. Not to my taste as I hate MPVs but the kids loved it.

Comment

Working...
                    X