• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Olympic Brand Police

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Olympic Brand Police

London 2012: The great Olympics sponsorship bandwagon

A florist that put up Olympic rings made of tissue paper was told to take them down.

The University of Derby was reportedly forced to take down a banner that read "supporting the London Olympics".

And last month, Birmingham Royal Ballet's artist director David Bintley was ordered to change the name of his latest production from "Faster, Higher, Stronger" - the Olympic motto - to "Faster".

It's a bit much, isn't it? What else aren't we allowed to do?

I've a good mind to mow Olympic circles on our village green. Or, I know, paint them on Seb Coe's Mercedes (if I knew where he lived).

Winds me right up..

Maybe I'm niave, but I saw the olympics as the bastion of Sport for the love of Sport - not corrupted by salaries, money etc etc.

But here we go...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      It's a bit much, isn't it? What else aren't we allowed to do?
      You're not allowed to buy chips without fish, unless they are the Locog Approved McDonalds Fat Bastard Processed Pulp Fries. And you're not allowed to pay with any other credit card than Visa.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        I've a good mind to mow Olympic circles on our village green. Or, I know, paint them on Seb Coe's Mercedes (if I knew where he lived).
        Why not go to the zil lanes and paint over the rings?

Comment

Hint for those who wish to ogle Victoria Pendleton's bum; her goggle sponsor is Oakley, so don't wear Ray-bans or in fact any other brand than Oakley to hide where your eyes are focussed.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Companies pay ALOT of money to be able to say Supporting the Olympics, so they get very arsey when people do this.

It goes farther than that tho... In order to use my Dell laptop on site at Locog HQ, I have to put stickers over the logos

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
              It goes farther than that tho... In order to use my Dell laptop on site at Locog HQ, I have to put stickers over the logos

How the fook such requirements are legal? It should not be possible to have exclusive sponsorships of such kind.

Comment

I wonder if Aaron Cook's taekwondo coach is called Master Card?

Comment

The true spirit burns fierce in Olimpick shin kicking.

Cotswold Olimpick Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    How the fook such requirements are legal? It should not be possible to have exclusive sponsorships of such kind.
                    Because the last government passed a law making it so

London Olympic and Paralympic Games Act 2006

Comment

Working...
                    X