• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympic parking at Excel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic parking at Excel

Hello, I have tickets to an Olympic event at the Excel Centre, Docklands. Much to my annoyance I have found that the massive car park at the Excel will be closed on the day to make the Olympics “Environmentally Sustainable”, which is a bit of a joke as I will be travelling from where I currently live, which is Switzerland, so I am not exactly likely to do most of the journey by bike!

Thought one of you Canary Wharf/Docklands contractors might be able to suggest suitable parking in the area, preferably a known reputable company, not an “Under the Arches, Geezer run type carpark”

Originally posted by reddog View Post
    Much to my annoyance I have found that the massive car park at the Excel will be closed on the day to make the Olympics “Environmentally Sustainable”

surely it would be more environmentally sustaining not to have the Olympics in the first place! Almost has the feeling of the diet coke with a large pizza and two burgers.

Sell your tickets and watch it on TV - you could even watch it from another, nicer country which doesn't close the car parks for massive sporting events
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Where are you travelling from?

Could you park at the o2 and get the emirates cable car over? Depending on time of day there can be big queues.

Comment

Hello, I have tickets to an Olympic event at the Excel Centre, Docklands. Much to my annoyance I have found that the massive car park at the Excel will be closed on the day to make the Olympics “Environmentally Sustainable”, which is a bit of a joke as I will be travelling from where I currently live, which is Switzerland, so I am not exactly likely to do most of the journey by bike!

Thought one of you Canary Wharf/Docklands contractors might be able to suggest suitable parking in the area, preferably a known reputable company, not an “Under the Arches, Geezer run type carpark”
        Leave your car here and get it cleaned, pick it up later
        Wharfside carwashers - home
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Travelling from Birmingham, taking a few people so cheaper/more convienient to drive, it will be a Saturday, so I would have thought there would be a lot of carparks typically used by office workers available.

Though speaking to a woman from Excel with a very "no can do attitude" all car car parks in the area will be closed (I find this hard to believe)

Looked on the Olympics Travel Website, the suggested Park and Ride location is Thurrock

Comment

Thing is there are going to be alot of people trying to drive. Due to the zil lanes its going to be chaos anyway.

I intend to cycle to work for the duration - and apart from that I only intend to go places further out of London from where I am.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to fly into Dockland airport?
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

My car will be in its normal parking spot at Greenwich Millenium Village for the duration of the games. Perhaps I should take my car back up north and rent the space out!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Travelling back to Brum for long weekend, and Olympic event. I wouldn't have thought excel area would be any busier than for a normal event. Especially on a Saturday lunch time.

Comment

Park at an out-of-town station, take the train in.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X