• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japanese property price crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese property price crash

Japan apartment 'most expensive in the world' - Telegraph

Now has property gone up suddenly or is money being "printed" to oblivion?

A friend of mine that has Japanese ancestry (his mum was Japanese and has family there) told me that housing is so expensive there that they have 100-year mortgages to pay for their homes. Debts get passed on from one generation to the next. I guess there must be some way to walk away from the deal, since you can't really agree a debt for someone that isn't even born yet. The market is also self-regulating in a way, since everybody needs to live somewhere, and if you want to move maybe you need to 'take over' the existing occupant's mortgage or similar. Quite a concept, all the same - entering into a financial agreement that will certainly outlive you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      A friend of mine that has Japanese ancestry (his mum was Japanese and has family there) told me that housing is so expensive there that they have 100-year mortgages to pay for their homes. Debts get passed on from one generation to the next. I guess there must be some way to walk away from the deal, since you can't really agree a debt for someone that isn't even born yet. The market is also self-regulating in a way, since everybody needs to live somewhere, and if you want to move maybe you need to 'take over' the existing occupant's mortgage or similar. Quite a concept, all the same - entering into a financial agreement that will certainly outlive you.
      What's sad is that multi-generational loans doesn't lead anywhere good if everyone takes them up. Everyone is back to square one, except for a massive life-long debt and legacy. The banker is rubbing his hands together with glee though, as usual, and perhaps the government are better able to control the population.

Comment

Working...
      X