• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What, no Fivers??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What, no Fivers??

What's all this about smaller shops nowadays giving out loads of pound coins instead of fivers? Every 2nd or 3rd trip to the shops I give the cashier a tenner for (InsertFMCGHere), who then checks the till and replies, "Sorry, I've got no notes, just coins I'm afraid".

I would have thought with the price of metal nowadays that QE would be about printing, not minting. Ok, the downward pull on my trousers from carrying it is a nice reminder that my waistline is shrinking, and my finances going the other way, but still, doesn't make sense for so many nuggets to circulate, and so few fivers.

The £5 note is a rare and special beast, since banks stopped loading ATM's with them no one knows how these elusive creatures get into circulation.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
      The £5 note is a rare and special beast, since banks stopped loading ATM's with them no one knows how these elusive creatures get into circulation.
      Funnily enough I took out £50 from a cash machine a couple of weeks back and got 10 fivers. Which was kind of annoying. So it does still happen.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Dirty, irritating little things, fivers.

bring on the five pound coin.

Comment

Part of the problem is that the fivers left are in bad condition. Why can't supermarkets and other large shops give out new fivers?

Maybe it is better to force cash points to give them out instead....

Comment

I only have fifties.

sasguru
            dimprawn

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I only have fifties.

sasguru
              dimprawn
              I don't handle cash

Threaded
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's been happening for years. Tesco seem to be the worst. Every now and then Poundland try to fob me off with a pocket full of change too, instead of a pound coin. Last time they said they couldn't reopen the till, and when it did open for the next customer they said they couldn't change it back because it would need to be counted. As these were such low IQ excuses I didn't budge until I got my pound coin.

The automatic tills in supermarkets will also happily dump a pocket full load of change on your lap but there's no avoiding that, except in giving the exact change and avoiding Tesco, which I do anyway.

Comment

Funnily enough, one of the first programs I recall writing at school was to calculate the minimum coinage required for change. These days it's a maximising problem

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Funnily enough I took out £50 from a cash machine a couple of weeks back and got 10 fivers. Which was kind of annoying. So it does still happen.
                    ATMs in areas where poor people live still dish out fivers

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X