• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you really need ALL the IT stuff you have?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really need ALL the IT stuff you have?

Got a phone interview this afternoon for a domain migration role so thought I'd fire up the w2003 server to remind myself what all the tools do.

Apart from a flat CMOS battery it started fine - Event viewer told me I'd last bother to use it in May 2010!

Handy to have though - my VM was an eval version and has expired

You can't beat a proper server

What's need got to do with it?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      WSS +1
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        WSS +1
        Good point, well presented.

Maybe I don't need the space I'd free up by ditching the server, screen, scanner and assorted junk laptops I never use!
        Oh well, stops me acquiring other junk to replace them then.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          You never know when a copy of Minix from 1995 might come in handy, like.
          Yes - the same applies for my copy of Netware 3.11 complete with manuals that I seem to have on the bookshelf.

Comment

Dell 24U Rack
            1 x HP DL585 G2 - 4 x Opteron Quad Core, 32Gb RAM, running VmWare ESXi 5
            1 x Dell SC1435, Dual 3Ghz Opteron, 16Gb RAM, 2 x 250Gb SATA2, running VmWare ESXi 5

....16 bay SATA SAN with 4 x 2Tb disks waiting to go into the Rack
            ....Also contemplating buying another DL585 G2 server.

Wife is happy with this

GE

Comment

Still got my win98 Toshiba laptop. I did have a Win 3.1 B&W laptop in the shed but found it wasn't working and new CMOS battery didn't help. You can't throw things away before they die, little gadgets have feelings too!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
                Dell 24U Rack
                1 x HP DL585 G2 - 4 x Opteron Quad Core, 32Gb RAM, running VmWare ESXi 5
                1 x Dell SC1435, Dual 3Ghz Opteron, 16Gb RAM, 2 x 250Gb SATA2, running VmWare ESXi 5

....16 bay SATA SAN with 4 x 2Tb disks waiting to go into the Rack
                ....Also contemplating buying another DL585 G2 server.

Wife is happy with this

GE
                But who pays the 'leccy bill?

And someone - please think of all the fluffy Polar Bears and suchlike the carbons are killing even as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  You can't throw things away before they die
                  And when they do die they go to Silicon Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Still got my win98 Toshiba laptop. I did have a Win 3.1 B&W laptop in the shed but found it wasn't working and new CMOS battery didn't help. You can't throw things away before they die, little gadgets have feelings too!
                    I have 2 x Zenith SuperSport 286 laptops
                    One has twin floppies and works - well it did three years ago.
                    The other has a hard disk and only works after much persuasion getting the disk to start spinning - last time I had to dismantle the laptop and undo and re-tighten the disk drive spindle mount.

I think it has DOS 3 on it - might give it a go later on

Edit - you can tell I'm focusing on the phone interview.
                    The Zenith SuperSport with the hard disk still works.

It's actually branded Honeywell Bull and has DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.0 on it
                    Last edited by ctdctd; 17 July 2012, 11:46.

Comment

Working...
                    X