• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Squash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squash

I keep getting beaten, just, by this bloke at the office & it's starting to get to me so I want to do something about it.

I've identified the main weakness in my game (other than just being generally crap) - I can't get those balls that drop into the corners neither can I dig out balls that just drop off the back wall without bouncing very high. Just can't get the racquet under them. He can though - seems to use a scooping action that I'm not entirely sure is legal.

Just wondering if there is any particular racquet that is more conducive to playing these kind of shots - one with a smaller head perhaps? Any advice from you sporty types would be most welcome.

Easy, you don't need a new racquet. Print this sporting themed picture on the back of your t-shirt and see how he loses his ability to concentrate on the little balls. Of course, if he's gay it won't work.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Don't allow your partner to hit them into the corners.

one day at a time

Comment

Saw something on TV the other day where someone was trying to play squash with earplugs in, and his or her timing was off. We play with our ears as well as our other senses. Can you supply him with some nice loud music?

Comment

Blink - was a mashup of old bbc science programs, it was fascinating both for content and for social changes in science.

BBC iPlayer - Blink: A Horizon Guide to the Senses
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            neither can I dig out balls that just drop off the back wall without bouncing very high. Just can't get the racquet under them.
            Is this in a rally or from a serve. If serve, with practice you should be able to identify when this is going to happen and volley the return rather than letting the ball bounce.

If in a rally, rather than scooping have you tried boasting directly into the wall the ball is close to?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Is this in a rally or from a serve. If serve, with practice you should be able to identify when this is going to happen and volley the return rather than letting the ball bounce.

If in a rally, rather than scooping have you tried boasting directly into the wall the ball is close to?
              Normally a rally. I've tried boasting off the side walls but normally the angle is wrong. Boasting off the back wall could be a plan - won't need to worry about getting racquet between the ball and the wall.

Comment

Boasting off the back wall could be a plan
                Leaves you very exposed though and you're likely to lose the point on the next shot anyway.

Comment

Normally a rally. I've tried boasting off the side walls but normally the angle is wrong. Boasting off the back wall could be a plan - won't need to worry about getting racquet between the ball and the wall.
                  Using the back wall is definitely the way forward, I used to suffer the exact same problem. Trick is to get enough power into the shot and aim high enough on the back wall to get the right trajectory and return the ball to the front wall.

A lot of squash, as I'm sure you've realised, is down to correct positioning on the court and a good deal of anticipation. In theory playing the same person regularly should eventually allow you to start reading their game and get into position ahead of the shot so you can volley a return or get to the front wall comfortably in time to return a drop shot.

(Disclaimer: I am not an excellent squash player.)

Comment

Get some coaching. Top tips from India for free: http://www.squashsite.co.uk/cyrus_tips.htm
                    Last edited by BigTime; 17 July 2012, 15:45.

Comment

Working...
                    X