• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie question...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie question...

Hi all,

In a "perm" position now (hence why the thread is not in Business/Contracts) but want an idea how safe it is. The company's the 14th biggest in the world and has fingers in about a dozen sectors, I work for a consultancy to it on client site and have been there now 4 months. Predecessor was a true contractor but apparently very abrasive, and hence outed after a year, along with another perm (effectively saving 50K overall), otherwise all staff either contract or longtimer permie.

Agency have been paid their placement fee and I have close+good relations with both line manager and client boss. Work busy pretty much every day, and because mine is a somewhat older skill, it's a bit tough to find. Plus it needs SC clearance.

My question is, statistically, how safe is it? Normally I wouldn't ask after 4 months but the probie period has been extended indefinitely (along with that of a colleague who's been here a few years), apparently due to his inability/unwillingness to handover knowledge.

My gut tells me it's ok, but the lack of probie period confirmation gives me pause, your analyses please....
    Last edited by JaybeeInCUK; 17 July 2012, 19:44.

As 'safe' as you want it to be.

HTH

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by JaybeeInCUK View Post
      Hi all,

In a "perm" position now (hence why the thread is not in Business/Contracts) but want an idea how safe it is. The company's the 14th biggest in the world and has fingers in about a dozen sectors, I work for a consultancy to it on client site and have been there now 4 months. Predecessor was a true contractor but apparently very abrasive, and hence outed after a year, along with another perm (effectively saving 50K overall), otherwise all staff either contract or longtimer permie.

Agency have been paid their placement fee and I have close+good relations with both line manager and client boss. Work busy pretty much every day, and because mine is a somewhat older skill, it's a bit tough to find. Plus it needs SC clearance.

My question is, statistically, how safe is it? Normally I wouldn't ask after 4 months but the probie period hasn't been extended indefinitely (along with a colleague who's been here a few years), apparently due to his inability/unwillingness to handover knowledge.

My gut tells me it's ok, but the lack of probie period confirmation gives me pause, your analyses please....
      Yer fcked.

HTH

Me, me, me...

Comment

If you are worried about the security of a permanent job you aren't really in the right place. In this day and age no job is save the best you can hope for is enough training to ensure that you still have a skill set if and when the dreaded day arrives.

However if your worried about the issues above I think we can safely say that you're probably not cut out for the contracting lark.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi all,

My question is, statistically, how safe is it? Normally I wouldn't ask after 4 months but the probie period has been extended indefinitely (along with that of a colleague who's been here a few years), apparently due to his inability/unwillingness to handover knowledge.

Tell them to shove it up their arse and walk out.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

With questions like that the only place for you is perm land so hope it works out !
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Deck the boss of HR.

MF

Comment

Wow. One single, worthwhile reply, and THAT is mysteriously deleted.

Comment

Wow. One single, worthwhile reply, and THAT is mysteriously deleted.

That poor chap realised his mistake and promtly deleted it

Now who was he - MarillionFan, DimPrawn or sasguru?

Comment

<Deleted by Mod>

Hey MF, Don't give out decent advice or you're banned!

</Deleted by Mod>
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X