• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice periods?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice periods?

Hi guys

Some of you may remember my initial post about whether to go contract. Well, I took the plunge and handed in my notice. The trouble was the three month notice period.

So...I negotiated leaving in a month subject to getting the product done by then. However, my team just has not delivered - we need about 2 more weeks(!) despite stirling efforts.

Now, normally I would say 'fair enough' and sort things out, but bear in mind that this project has been running without specification or project plan since I joined the damned company - and it is one of the main reasons why I am leaving. Quite simply the stuff that I thought was doable had not been scoped. Yes, I was caught out yet again, yes, I should have scoped it better. Yes, I won't let my good nature to get in the way any more.

So - the question is, has anyone ever simply walked out of a permie job before their time was up? Yes, I would be in breach of contract but to be brutally honest from what I have seen I would be more than happy to burn this particular bridge for a number of reasons.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

o - the question is, has anyone ever simply walked out of a permie job before their time was up?
    Who me?/ never never never...

oh orright I did a runner once or twice.. or was that 3 times now :b

Comment

2 things to consider going on what you say, chris4321

and you've already covered one of them. the other is the legal position. if you are sure that your employer won't pursue for breach of contract then go. if not, then ...

Comment

Re: 2 things to consider going on what you say, chris4321

...which reminds me. Just how much could 'breach of contract' cost me here?

Comment

doesn't your contract

make that clear? maybe you need a lawyer to have a peek at the relevant paperwork?

Comment

Re: doesn't your contract

Presumably the cost would be whatever it takes to put the company back in the position it would have been in if you hadn’t broken the contract. If they have to get someone else in for 2 weeks you could end up paying for it. Not very likely though.

Have you tried disussing it with them (or the new company). Perhaps you can offer some kind of off site support to them.

Comment

Re: doesn't your contract

If nobody did any scoping, how can they prove you didn't deliver?

tl, listening to the sound of one hand clapping.

Comment

So - the question is, has anyone ever simply walked out of a permie job before their time was up?
                Yes but then I was doubling my income for an easier job actually. I think they realised that they had been caught out.

Comment

Regardless of legal position I think it hardly ever happens.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice, everyone.

I went down the discussion route, and will try to get something working in the next few days (*just* enough - thx thunderlizard, good point). And if it can't be done, or they think it should be different then I guess they can sue me if they choose. But judging by advice here and elsewhere I doubt that it will come to that.

<Wanders off to the strains of Status Quo playing "Burning Bridges"....> :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X