• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited Company - Proof of right to work in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited Company - Proof of right to work in UK

Hi all,

I'm a director a limited company, I have been contracting since October last year, I've completed a few contracts via an agency and a few direct. I've had to show proof of insurance and the usual company documents for the agency ones, direct was never a problem.

I'm starting a new contract next week via an agency and they're asking me for "proof of right to work in the UK", I've told them I've never been asked for this before while providing services via my limited company via agency or direct.....the pimp has told me that if the home office came round to the client company they can be fined for not having proof that I had the right to work in the UK. He kept mentioning Employment Act or something or another.

Has anybody else come across this before?

I think the pimp is talking out of his ass, personally.

GE

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a director a limited company, I have been contracting since October last year, I've completed a few contracts via an agency and a few direct. I've had to show proof of insurance and the usual company documents for the agency ones, direct was never a problem.

I'm starting a new contract next week via an agency and they're asking me for "proof of right to work in the UK", I've told them I've never been asked for this before while providing services via my limited company via agency or direct.....the pimp has told me that if the home office came round to the client company they can be fined for not having proof that I had the right to work in the UK. He kept mentioning Employment Act or something or another.

GE
    Not if you don't have the right to work in the UK.

So do you?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Hi all,

GE
      This issue was discussed quite recently in Business & Contracts. Bottom line, most people agreed that it was a minor bureaucratic hurdle to just send a copy of your passport to prove that the person doing the work has a right to work in the UK. There was some debate as to whether you need to do so, and about how much bureaucracy it's wise to put up with, but all seemed to agree that simply sending a passport as proof wasn't worth making an issue of.

Comment

I assume with a name like Gareth Evans you are a dirty foreigner so feck off back over the Severn Bridge to where you belong!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I thought his name was Gare the Vans of the French Polynesian 'the Vans' family
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

"the pimp has told me that if the home office came round to the client company they can be fined for not having proof that I had the right to work in the UK"

That is a load of bulltulip anyway.

Comment

I now have a passport so that I can prove that I am allowed to work in my own country.

That is the only reason I have one.

When I was made redundant and went back to contracting 5 years ago I applied for one as so many contracts required you had one before you could apply, and so I found not having one very limiting.

Comment

...I think the pimp is talking out of his ass, personally...
                The pimp has a donkey?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I usually fill in lots of client compliance and financial disclosure forms, answer tons of security questions and provide endless proof and eventually turn up on the day and the Client's HR checks the passport and keeps a photocopy before I am allowed to have a building pass. Not a big deal anymore, not unless you don't need their cash?

Oh, the funniest request I had was from our friends "SecurityWatchDog" who asked for the Name/Address/Phone/Email of my University tutor back in 1987. I had fun about the email address which for some reason they just couldn't understand why I was being so difficult by not giving them that? Eventually the penny dropped... I wonder if G4S owns that business?

Comment

Yeah it is pretty funny really. it kinda makes one wonder about IR35. Because the obligation really with the consultancy to supply a person who is eligible to work in the UK. Which is yourself, which is kinda self-governing, so just send in the passport copy and be done with it.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X