• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you charge for significant travel to in-person interviews?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you charge for significant travel to in-person interviews?

Where there's significant travel involved for a face-to-face, do any of you have any experience of charging for that? I'm based in Scotland, and have been contacted about a role further South because they're seeking some fairly niche skills. I was thinking about suggesting a telephone interview, followed by a face-to-face if they wanted to go that way, with travel/accom paid for by them. Perhaps with some arrangement whereby those initial costs will be deducted from any contracting fees if they decide to proceed. Have any of you gone this way before?, or do you generally just accept that any costs incurred prior to the ink being dry on any contract that may result as an incidental cost?

Have had client pay for travel a couple of times. (Deutche Bank and Barclays).

If they won't pay for a F2F I just suggest telephone or video. If they won't do it, tell 'em to ram it.

You have the advantage of being a woman, so you can incorporate the interview with a shopping trip and justify the expense to yourself that way
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        Where there's significant travel involved for a face-to-face, do any of you have any experience of charging for that? I'm based in Scotland, and have been contacted about a role further South because they're seeking some fairly niche skills. I was thinking about suggesting a telephone interview, followed by a face-to-face if they wanted to go that way, with travel/accom paid for by them. Perhaps with some arrangement whereby those initial costs will be deducted from any contracting fees if they decide to proceed. Have any of you gone this way before?, or do you generally just accept that any costs incurred prior to the ink being dry on any contract that may result as an incidental cost?
        If you don't ask you don't get!

However I class any travel costs for interviews etc as part of my "bid process" so I just expense them to my own LtdCo and take the hit, I am not sure how that would work if I had to do flights etc but I have usually killed two birds with one stone and used the mileage etc to factor in a few days away while I am being interviewed.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, chaps. A good suggestion with Skype there - that's not something I've made much use of to date, and should perhaps look into.

I've taken the hit before when I've been contracting away. But, I've found on occasion that the old adage that people don't value what they're not paying for applies.

Comment

Nope. Nowadays, I only consider roles within daily commuting distance (and even then I've knocked a few offers back in the last 10 days! Note to self, stop being so picky!).

In the past, I have asked for a telephone interview if outside what I am prepared to travel.

Personally, I dont think businesses should be asking another business to pay its expenses when its bidding for work. Just my opinion though.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              If you don't ask you don't get!

However I class any travel costs for interviews etc as part of my "bid process" so I just expense them to my own LtdCo and take the hit, I am not sure how that would work if I had to do flights etc but I have usually killed two birds with one stone and used the mileage etc to factor in a few days away while I am being interviewed.
              Being a bit anal about it and you (or HRMC) could argue that the expense was not wholly for business use when you tack on some days at the end.

Comment

This is a pre-sales business development cost for your company. But there's no harm in asking the client to foot the bill. I was once flown over to the US for an interview. The client will probably be sensible and not ask you to incur unreasonable expenses for the interview.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, chaps. A good suggestion with Skype there - that's not something I've made much use of to date, and should perhaps look into.

I've taken the hit before when I've been contracting away. But, I've found on occasion that the old adage that people don't value what they're not paying for applies.
                  Go with Skype or phone interview option initially if they are keen on you then they will consider the option if only to make things quicker.

I've had that with an interview in the UK, given the faff of getting flights and they need someone quickly I gave them the option of skype or phone and they opted for phone.

As for reimbursing expenses, it doesn't hurt to ask. I've been reimbursed for travel to an interview here in the Netherlands from the UK.

But as Bolshie says as a contractor you often have to take the hit yourself when bidding for business, I never asked when travelling from the Midlands to London for interviews.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    Being a bit anal about it and you (or HRMC) could argue that the expense was not wholly for business use when you tack on some days at the end.
                    I only claim for the travel there and back, the extra days are on my dime
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X