• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laminate floors.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laminate floors.

I know Italian marble or Canadian redwood are the only acceptable flooring options but as I am selling my house, laminate will have to do.
    I am going to get the stuff that looks like stone tiles (ish).
    Question is how much would you expect it to cost for supply, fit or both for 3 rooms - medium sized kitchen, small conservatory (nasty glass box) and small bathroom ?
    Just need a ballpark to ensure quotes are taking the p*** and I feel sure someone on here will claim knowledge.
    Cheers all.

There is a massive variation in price depending on design and make. Find something similar at your local Homebase (or whatever), calculate the cost for how many square meters you are covering (plus 15% for off-cuts, errors, etc), plus an equivalent amount of underlay and beading to go around the edges. It's easy enough to lay yourself but if you get a man in to do it you will probably be charged ca. £150/day in London and reckon on a square medium sized room taking half a day.

HTH.

Comment

If the room has lots of doors off it or curves get someone in to do it, not worth the hassle, used to like a bit of DIY but after taking 6 weekends to lay laminate flooring in my bastard hall, curved lots of door the works, I havent done any since put me off for live.

Comment

You need to be careful when doing 'wet rooms' (IE. bathrooms & kitchens), as the moisture in the air (let alone spillages) will get into the MDF and the laminate will lift. Basically, the cheaper stuff is not suitable for wet rooms at all.
        But then if you are selling the house, it's not your worry

Doing it yourself is easy, but does hurt the knees and back (you will spend all of your time on yours knees laying the stuff)
        If you are laying it yourself, get a decent 'back hammer', not the crappy metal strip you get with the installation kits:

(see that metal strip - it will bend in no time) - after bending many such strips I found a professional jobbie like this:

See, much more sturdy
        Last edited by Jakes Daddy; 6 June 2006, 16:07.

Comment

Eeuuwww Laminate flooring. Puhleease.

Modern day equivalent of stone cladding and rag-rolling.

Why don't you put in an avocado bathroom suite while you're at it.

Ugh!
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

But it's not for him, Alf W, he's selling the place.

Comment

Laminate floors look terrible unless you replace the skirting at the same - the skirting needs to sit on the top of the laminate to hide the required expansion joint. The other method using beads nailed to the skirting can also look tacky especially on corners. If the house is a semi or terrace be careful as people are getting wise to the echo effect that upsets the neighbours when laminate floors are used throughout a house.

Comment

Sounds bloody awful whenever son #1 drops his tv remote or ps/2 controls on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1
                  If the room has lots of doors off it or curves get someone in to do it, not worth the hassle, used to like a bit of DIY but after taking 6 weekends to lay laminate flooring in my bastard hall, curved lots of door the works, I havent done any since put me off for live.
                  life.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Aye, it can be fairly nasty stuff but like decking it will look good enough for long enough. Got a couple of people coming round to give me quotes so will see what they say.

Comment

Working...
                    X