• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

28 day gap!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28 day gap!

LOL!

Crapita just sent me an 'application form' to complete in respect of a contract role they have. Had to laugh at the following;

GAP REFERENCES

If you have been out of work/contract, or on holiday for any period longer than 28 days we will require this period to be covered by a personal reference, this referee must have known you for longer than two years, cannot be related must be a member of a professional body e.g. Manager, Lawyer, Doctor etc

So, the standard is 28 days break now and you have to provide a personal reference for each absence of 28 days? Dont think you can put your co as one of the employers either to cover the gaps.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I had a similar situation, where i got a contract for one of the major investment bank and they asked for the same details which you have mentioned.

I have given my reference as my class mate who knew me for almost 8 years and he is also working in one of the major IT firm and the agency got reference from him.

This is just to prove that the person is not involved in any illegal activities or sentenced during that period.

There is no harm in agency asking these details because the clients are asking this. Provide them with any of your known mates or friends working in some known organisation. They will ask for work email for the referee for this reference.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      LOL!

Crapita just sent me an 'application form' to complete in respect of a contract role they have. Had to laugh at the following;

GAP REFERENCES

If you have been out of work/contract, or on holiday for any period longer than 28 days we will require this period to be covered by a personal reference, this referee must have known you for longer than two years, cannot be related must be a member of a professional body e.g. Manager, Lawyer, Doctor etc

So, the standard is 28 days break now and you have to provide a personal reference for each absence of 28 days? Dont think you can put your co as one of the employers either to cover the gaps.
      I had this a couple of years back with Abrecco for an NHS contract. Think it was 6 week break though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        I had this a couple of years back with Abrecco for an NHS contract. Think it was 6 week break though.
        Occassionally, I've been asked about periods greater than 3 months. On many applications, I've never been asked to explain these periods. 28 days is just ******* ridiculous and smacks of permiedom.

Comment

LOL!

GAP REFERENCES

Over the last 12 years, I've taken at least six breaks of 3 months or longer. All my roles for the last 6 years have been Banks, so this type of question comes up all the time. I simply put on the screening forms that I have "no breaks in my employment, as I'm self-employed" (always put it down this way, as screening agencies simply don't understand the idea of Contractor/Ltd.) If they need any form of reference as regards the continuity of my employment, then they should discuss it with my accountant (had the same guy for over 20 years.) I've never had a problem.*

(* Except with one stupid bint at a screening company who was doing a "5 year check" and found a "problem." She'd had a letter back from my accountant stating he'd only known me "21 years and 3 months", where as I had put "21 years and 6 months" on the form. I pointed out the utter stupidity of her "problem" to her. She went away never to be heard from again.)
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            Over the last 12 years, I've taken at least six breaks of 3 months or longer. All my roles for the last 6 years have been Banks, so this type of question comes up all the time. I simply put on the screening forms that I have "no breaks in my employment, as I'm self-employed" (always put it down this way, as screening agencies simply don't understand the idea of Contractor/Ltd.) If they need any form of reference as regards the continuity of my employment, then they should discuss it with my accountant (had the same guy for over 20 years.) I've never had a problem.*

(* Except with one stupid bint at a screening company who was doing a "5 year check" and found a "problem." She'd had a letter back from my accountant stating he'd only known me "21 years and 3 months", where as I had put "21 years and 6 months" on the form. I pointed out the utter stupidity of her "problem" to her. She went away never to be heard from again.)
            I've worked in banking since 2000, only recently had an issue with an anal agent.

Comment

I've worked in banking since 2000, only recently had an issue with an anal agent.
              I've worked in Banking since '94. I've always had problems with anal agents, but I just considered that part of Contracting.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

I've had this before, like someone else said, it stinks of permie style employment. Although I've not gone through agencies in over a year, if I do again in future I will be politely explaining to them that I actually run a real business, I have peaks and troughs, I take breaks, and that the time I spend in or out of my clients' offices are of no business of the agency.

Comment

Just stick down

1990 - 2012 - Bolshie Bastard LTD.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Just stick down

1990 - 2012 - Bolshie Bastard LTD.
                    Nope, they wont accept that either.

Comment

Working...
                    X