• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

China in talks to build UK nuclear power plants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China in talks to build UK nuclear power plants

China in talks to build UK nuclear power plants | Environment | The Guardian

Given that the Chinese will want to make a profit on top, how can this be cheaper or better long term for us than doing it in house?

We keep outsourcing and using foreign companies with only immediate cost in mind and then (unsurprisingly) we no longer have the expertise to do the job next time anyway. Why would a British engineering company attempt to get into these markets when they keep seeing the government handing out contracts to France, Germany, India, China or whatever, just to save a few %? We need a British first policy combined with stronger regulation and laws to ensure we are not ripped off by our own companies or the unions.

Similarly with immigration, rather than sort our welfare dependency problems, they allow the quick fix of hoardes of unskilled migrants who push down wages and diminish incentive to work even further, compounding the problem. Not to mention creating many, many others.

It is always a quick fix. They never seem to consider the staggering problems we are building up for the future. If there was one thing I would happily outsource to China it would be the UK government, they at least appear to have a long term strategy. Our governments are purely insane.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

And also, what about security concerns.

Comment

It's probably cheaper for China to build those reactors for free rather than maintain enough ICBMs capable of breaking through Euro anti missile defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          How can this be cheaper or better long term for us than doing it in house?
          Having spent time working in China and seen first hand examples of their building work, I'd be more concerned about the safety aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            We keep outsourcing and using foreign companies with only immediate cost in mind and then (unsurprisingly) we no longer have the expertise to do the job next time anyway. Why would a British engineering company attempt to get into these markets when they keep seeing the government handing out contracts to France, Germany, India, China or whatever, just to save a few %? We need a British first policy combined with stronger regulation and laws to ensure we are not ripped off by our own companies or the unions.

Similarly with immigration, rather than sort our welfare dependency problems, they allow the quick fix of hoardes of unskilled migrants who push down wages and diminish incentive to work even further, compounding the problem. Not to mention creating many, many others.

It is always a quick fix. They never seem to consider the staggering problems we are building up for the future. If there was one thing I would happily outsource to China it would be the UK government, they at least appear to have a long term strategy. Our governments are purely insane.
            This is what any government who cared about the people and country would do. We havent had one of those since Major.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              This is what any government who cared about the people and country would do. We havent had one of those since Major.
              There were lots of major arseholes in the Govt recently

Comment

Fine by me provided we get a good product at a competitive price.

People have a fear of outsourcing. Mostly because they are ignorant.

Comment

Working...
                X