• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This 'Ere Raid in Forest Gate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This 'Ere Raid in Forest Gate

What do you reckon the likely outcome of this will be?

My starter for ten is that the "specific intelligence that left the police no choice but to raid the place" will turn out to be a neighbour with a grudge and that eventually the brothers will be released without charge.

Mind you, given the way the police are accumulating powers I wouldn't be surprised that if the police turn up nothing they will charge them with wasting police time and getting in the way of a bullet without proper authorisation.

"Prime Minister Tony Blair says he is not afraid of a Muslim "backlash" in the wake of an anti-terror raid on a house in Forest Gate, east London. "

I mean... what would they do ? bomb our cities

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
      What do you reckon the likely outcome of this will be?

My starter for ten is that the "specific intelligence that left the police no choice but to raid the place" will turn out to be a neighbour with a grudge and that eventually the brothers will be released without charge.

Mind you, given the way the police are accumulating powers I wouldn't be surprised that if the police turn up nothing they will charge them with wasting police time and getting in the way of a bullet without proper authorisation.
      No evidence. Men will sue. Police will settle out of court for a few million. Everyones a winner

(not the tax payer though).

Comment

I actually spoke to a police officer yesterday (same district!) who admitted that it was probably best to either lie on the phone to 999 or take the law into your own hands.

They're probably guilty of something though - probably illegal storage of chicken or something.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I blame IR35
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

There's no smoke without fire, the innocent have nothing to fear, etc., etc.

Comment

The state should just strike a simple deal - it could arrest anyone suspected of terrorist for up to 30-60-90-180 days, but at each set milestone the person (if not charged with offence in court) will be awarded something like £30k, £100k, £250k, £500k and up to £1 mln if he was in prison without charge for up to 6 months. This way people who get put there unfairly will get more than enough payout to not complain much about it.

Comment

Rather amusingly, at the moment if you're wrongly imprisoned you have to pay the state for your board and lodging out of your compo money.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  The state should just strike a simple deal - it could arrest anyone suspected of terrorist for up to 30-60-90-180 days, but at each set milestone the person (if not charged with offence in court) will be awarded something like £30k, £100k, £250k, £500k and up to £1 mln if he was in prison without charge for up to 6 months. This way people who get put there unfairly will get more than enough payout to not complain much about it.
                  What do the police care. We taxpayers will pay for it!

Comment

And any inconvenient suspects will just disappear on one of the CIA's rendition flights.

Comment

Working...
                    X