• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What tools do you carry in your car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tools do you carry in your car?

Decades ago, before all the complexity of engine management, assisted steering, ABS brakes, pollution controls etc etc I used to do all my own repairs and servicing - like replacing clutches, brake parts, head gaskets or valves. I would carry a huge toolkit around to cope with the frequent breakdowns due to the general unreliability of vehicles in those days or arising from my own crappy repairs. (I recall once I drove about 50 miles after replacing the valves and all the valve cotters fell out.)

By force of habit I still carry a huge toolbox around but I don't suppose I could do anything nowadays except change a wheel or call the RAC, modern vehicles are too complex and cramped. Is there a guide somewhere to what sort of simple faults a modern vehicles is most likely to suffer from that are amenable to amateur roadside repairs or shall I just ditch the lot apart from the jack and wheelbrace?

What do you lot do?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I know how to change my tyre, and that's about it.

For tools, I carry a jack, a tyre iron, a boiler suit and some trainers. Changing a tyre is no fun in heels, I can tell you. Oh, and a beenie hat to stuff my hair in (to minimise the constant stream of guys screeching to a halt on a motorway that don't know how to change a tyre themselves, but for some reason imagine that I need/want their unsolicited advice and/or company whilst I am doing so).

Comment

AA + RAC card, that's all I need.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

AA + RAC card
        You have both??? Which do you call first?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          You have both??? Which do you call first?
          RAC to get the car fixed, then AA to prevent the tragedy of breaking down becoming an excuse to turn to drink.

Comment

I still have my 16 year old 4x4 and in it I keep a toolbox with spare fan belts, selection of metric + 1 adjustable spanner, Phillips and flat blade screwdrivers & should all else fail a small lump hammer. Also carry a 5 litre container of made up anti freeze /water mix.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              AA + RAC card, that's all I need.
              WCS
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I keep a remarkable old PAYG Nokia £20 phone secreted away, together with £20. I say remarkable because it holds its charge for years. Last time I checked, 6 months ago, it was still showing 100% charge. It's the old PAYG, which is real PAYG, not the modern nothing of the sort pay every month or you lose it PAYG. I carry a few tools, which can be picked up for a few quid from the pound shop, pliers, tool bag, a few spanners, etc. Carrying some cord doesn't hurt either. Not sure if I've still got a tow rope in the car, towing a car is an art these days, as is jumper starting. Also a tough plastic bag in case something needs to be carried. A cheap blanket might turn out to be a useful addition, but I haven't done that yet. I've also hidden a spare car key so that if I ever lose my key I can smash a window as a last resort to get mobile.

Comment

Baseball bat and a shank.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                    RAC to get the car fixed, then AA to prevent the tragedy of breaking down becoming an excuse to turn to drink.
                    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gentile again.
                    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X